We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food and drinks at Grand Palladium

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Food and drinks at Grand Palladium

I just have to put this out there because if you notice, no one has written a review on the Royal Suites since May 16 so I'm not sure anyone will ever read mine when I get home and write it. And since the last review slammed the food, I feel a need only after three days to reassure everyone that the food is wonderful. We have had three dinners so far and have not been disappointed with any of them. Last night we had filet mignon at El Dorado! Night before we had japanese at Sumptouri, wonderful again, and first night here we had Asian at the Kabah buffet..grilled shrimp, chicken, noodles, etc. Sooo good!

Breakfast is great. Who can complain about made to order omelets, eggs over easy, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, cereal, pastries, fresh fruit and juice? Our best lunch has been at the Kabah buffet hands down. La Laguna is okay, but that's okay cause we found a better place to eat.

So to the person who says the food at Palladium is "terrible, period", that is just soooooooooo wrong! And my husband IS a picky eater, and I am not. If you don't like something (and there's plenty here that I don't like because it's just foreign to me) then I don't eat it!

The drinks are good but some are too sweet for me. PIna Colada is my favorite, cosmo is good, capuccino with kahlua is extremely good. Just find what you like and go with the flow.

So, I put this out there because I'm an average jane and wanted everyone to know there is something delicious here for everyone!

I hope this helps anyone who had any concerns. Oh, and by no means will you have any 'after effects' of the food. As far as I'm concerned, it's because you drank way too much and the heat got to you! The water is perfectly fine too! We drink it all the time!

Wayzata
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food and drinks at Grand Palladium

Thanks Court! I agree with everything you said. Have you tried El Jardin? That is also wonderful. (Lobster night is great)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food and drinks at Grand Palladium

Unofficial, do you know they serve lobster every night there? But someone mentioned there's one night where it's better??? Is that true? and if so, would it be Wednesdays?

Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
485 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food and drinks at Grand Palladium

Wednesday was the traditional lobster night, but I understand now it's every night when available.

On Friday, they have lobster cappelini, which is a pasta lobster dish they prepare tableside.

Wayzata
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food and drinks at Grand Palladium

It used to be Wednesday but I have heard it is almost every night (El Jardin) if it's available. Can you confirm?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food and drinks at Grand Palladium

I can confirm that we were told it is every night.

The lobster capellini sounds good, but that's also the night of the bbq. Is that worth going to?

Also, do you know if there is another way to get to PDC without spending a fortune on a cab ride or is that the best way to go? I remember at Iberostar that we got to take a van from their commercial center for $8 round trip pp. I am guessing they don't have anything like that here. :(

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food and drinks at Grand Palladium

Unofficialpal...I found a tequila at the tequilaria called Tequilpa. Do you happen to know if this can be gotten at the airport cheaper than what they charge here which is $30? It is rare to find it up in the states except in the DC area, NC and VA and a few others.

Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
485 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food and drinks at Grand Palladium

Some people rave about the beach BBQ, some people don't, a lot seems to depend on the weather. My advise would be to make an early reservation for the BBQ, and if you don't like it, go eat at El Jardin afterwards.

Also, to get to PDC, if your adventourous you can take a "collectivo," which is a form of public transportation. A lot of people use them, and I have never read about anyone experiencing any issues:

travelyucatan.com/collectivo.php#collectivo

Wayzata
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food and drinks at Grand Palladium

The BBQ is fun but if I had the choice of lobster Cappelini or the BBQ I'd take the former. I just read a report from someone who had the cappellin and she loved it. They also used to have a BBQ on Friday so check that.

If you are going to PDC walk outside the gates and take a right. There is a palapa bus stop there where the colectivos stop. (25 pesos)They will leave you at the crn of 2 & 15th sts. Walk up toi 5th Ave. Playa Mart has excellent prices on tequilla and anything else you'd want - you can also sample tequilla there. Good buys on Mexican vanilla too.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food and drinks at Grand Palladium

Is this collectivo a decent bus if you know what I mean? Or is it like an overcrowded type of thing?

Also how often does it run and do we then get it the same place for the way back?

Oh, and you are right the bbq is Friday night, but someone here said the Lobster capellini was only Friday nights, but it doesn't seem that way from the menu I got off of Palladium addicts.

Wayzata
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food and drinks at Grand Palladium

The colectivo is a public van - most are newer now and AC - that is used by the locals to get to and from work. It can be crowded but not always. They leave you off and pick you up at the Crn of 2 & 15th. They run every 5-10 mins.

The menus changes daily in La Jardin which is why I don't publish them. Ask Armando when they are serving the lobster cappellini. I took some guests there on a Tuesday night (I think) and they made a wonderful pasta carbonara table side.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras