We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CAT or Barcelo Colonial

NEW York
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
CAT or Barcelo Colonial

Barcelo Colonial or CAT for a family of 4 including 6 and 11 years olds boys traveling in August? Please provide your honest opinions. Thanks

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
875 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CAT or Barcelo Colonial

I cannot provide a comparison, but I can tell you that the Cat is a great family resort. On our first visit to the Cat my two boys were 12 & 15, so they were a bit older than yours are now. As a result, we don't have any experience with the kids club, but I read a lot of good reviews of it here on TA. The one thing that is great about the Cat, though, is the size of the resort is perfect for families. It isn't a 'mega-resort', so everything is is close proximity to everything else. Nor is it a small resort either--to us, it is a perfect size. It has all the amenities of a 'mega' resort, without the feeling that one could easily get lost. The only down-side that I can think of is the size of the beach--it IS a small beach and it IS a bit rocky (but, if you're into snorkeling, the rocks & coral means that there is always something to see when you plant your face in the water). We love the Cat so much that we will be visiting for the 5th time 3 weeks from tomorrow!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CAT or Barcelo Colonial

so which CAT is this? CPM? CRT? CY?

Edited: 15 June 2010, 18:51
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
875 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CAT or Barcelo Colonial

Good question. I assume, since the OP is bringing kids that it is not CRT. I also assumed, because it was posted in the Puerto Aventuras forum, that it was not CPM either. Therefore, that only leaves the CRM/Yucatan. The info I posted above was for the CRM/Yucatan.

minneapolis minn
Level Contributor
654 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CAT or Barcelo Colonial

there all nice resorts ,if you want one of best beaches on rivieria maya,,barcelo beach is impressive,,almost 2 miles of white sand beach to keep your toes entertained..in pictures you see only half beach area,,the pier area is split in middle of entire run of beach...colonial /tropical air conditoned buffets and a bunch of ala cartes.2 giant theatres with rattan furniture,i hate those green plastic chairs,lol...lots of stuff for kids.barcelo to me is a step up and beyond ... either place you choose,,i wish you the best.

Choctaw, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CAT or Barcelo Colonial

I've got 5 words for you, CAT CAT CAT CAT CAT. Thats how many times I've been and will continue to go back. Lovelabs pretty much covered it all. Good luck & have fun

BigDave

Mission, BC, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Mission, Abbotsford
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CAT or Barcelo Colonial

It really boils down to whether you want a HUGE resort (Barcelo), or a smaller more intimate one (Cat). The Cat you can walk from one end to the other in about 5 mins. The Barcelo you sometimes have to take a shuttle to get from one place to another. The Cat also has the nice shallow, calm, protected lagoon that is PERFECT for the little ones.

You can also take a nice leisurely 5 – 10 min stroll to the marina where you can swim with the dolphins, shop, restaurants, charter a boat, etc. You can even walk right beside the pens to view the dolphins, manatees, seals etc. Great for the little ones to see.

We have been to the Cat 7x now & the reasons we keep going back is;

1) Staff, are phenomenal, great service. We have made many friends there now.

2) Price, never see the Barcelo near the same price (From here anyways).

3) We love the location.

4) The size, never been one for the huge mega-resorts. Stayed at one once, it was nice, but not for us.

Hope this helps…

Pablo

Wed 8:10 PST

Edited: 16 June 2010, 16:10
NEW York
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: CAT or Barcelo Colonial

I was referring to the Catalonia Riviera Maya

NEW York
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: CAT or Barcelo Colonial

Thank you very much for all of the great responses. Is there Internet in the room?

Mission, BC, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Mission, Abbotsford
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CAT or Barcelo Colonial

If you are asking about wireless Internet at the Cat, the answer is yes…

Pablo

Fri 10:22 PST

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: CAT or Barcelo Colonial

Barcelo hands down they have lots for the kids to do.I have been to both and the Barcelo is a step up from the Cat.