We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Departure Tax from Cancun Airport?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
154 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Departure Tax from Cancun Airport?

Headed to the Grand Palladium for a short 8 days in two weeks. I've noticed on a few reviews about people saying there is a $55 USD airport departure tax that has to be paid, in cash, at the airport upon leaving. I've been to Mexico before and have never had to pay this. Is this a new fee that I'm unaware of? I booked my package on Expedia, but there is a section of 'not included' services and it lists the airport tax. When was this implemented?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Departure Tax from Cancun Airport?

The only airline from the U.S. that excludes part of the Mexican taxes is JetBlue in which case they collect 20 USD from you. All other airlines from the U.S. include all the taxes so you don't have to worry about it.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Departure Tax from Cancun Airport?

If Expedia said that the departure tax was not included, then it just may be their "thing" that they no longer include this in the price of your airline ticket. I'd have the amount they indicate set aside. It's best to have it, and not need it, than the other way around--because if you have to pay it, it does have to be in cash.

Wayzata
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Departure Tax from Cancun Airport?

That is correct. I flew Jet Blue last timeand was charged 420upon departure. People flying thomson from from Great Britain usually have to pay $55 as it is not included in their tickets.

Wayzata
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Departure Tax from Cancun Airport?

typo -that should be $20 not 420!

Florida
Level Contributor
118 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Departure Tax from Cancun Airport?

WHAT???? I booked through cheapcaribeean.com and have a flight with JetBlue...I'm going to have to pay $20 per person...each way as a tax?????????????????????????????????????????

Florida
Level Contributor
118 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Departure Tax from Cancun Airport?

ok just called jet blue...and the fee is included in their fares ....phew!

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Departure Tax from Cancun Airport?

Most airlines include it in the price of your ticket but its always good to ask.

Florida
Level Contributor
118 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Departure Tax from Cancun Airport?

The email I received from Jet Blue...

Thank you for contacting JetBlue Airways regarding the Mexican Tourism Tax. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concern.

Our old reservation system was not able to collect the tax so our customers were required to pay when leaving the country. With the transition to our new reservations system on January 29, 2010 we are now able to collect the tax at the time of booking.

Just wanted to share the info with my fellow travelers :).

Sheffield, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Departure Tax from Cancun Airport?

Jet blue dont seem to know where they are with this , this is an e mail I received today October 28th regarding the tax

Thank you for contacting JetBlue Airways about your upcoming flights between Orlando and Cancun. We

are happy to respond.

The tourist tax is collected by the Mexican Government for flights departing from Cancun to the

United States. Because there are some exemptions to this tax, it is not included in your fare, and

will be collected at the time of check in in Cancun.

so where do we go from here????

help someone, there are five of us in the family and I really need to know what this is gong to cost me , if anything!!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Departure Tax from Cancun Airport?

miggins, check your travel documents to see if the tax is included. If not, have the appropriate amount in pesos or use a credit card at check-in.