We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discontinuation of Free Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen from CAT

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
243 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Discontinuation of Free Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen from CAT

i just read a review from a fellow traveller that just recently returned from the Catalonia Yucatan/Riveira Maya resort that the free Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen will be discontinued at the end of this month (Sept 2010) Does anyone have any information on this as to the truth? I have emailed the resort via their Facebook page to see if i can find out from them directly.

This would have been a nice perk seeing we would save some pesos for other things.

Thanks!

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discontinuation of Free Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen from CAT

I'd really like to know the answer to this as well! Several of the Cat websites list the shuttle to PDC as an included service. It was one of the reasons that we booked the Cat, knowing how far from PDC the Cat is and how costly it can be by taxi.

Edited: 29 September 2010, 23:17
Toronto Ontario...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Discontinuation of Free Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen from CAT

so far no news... but I did get a message from teh person that posted this on the TA website and assured us that it is going to be suspended as of tomorrow. Sucks though.. but what can we do? it could be also due to the low season, and maybe they will bring it back in the winter months? but I didn't get that impression that it was temporary. If i hear back from the resort itself (so far nothing on Facebook) i'll write back.

michigan
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discontinuation of Free Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen from CAT

I really hope they did not do away with this perk. I will be keeping an eye on the post and see if you find any thing out.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discontinuation of Free Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen from CAT

We were told this service was going to be axed from the end of Sept by our rep at the welcoming meeting.

She said it was an expense the hotel could no longer afford.

But that being said she also told us USD were no longer being accepted in Mexico after the 13th Sept, and that wasn't true. So Fingers crossed you will still get your free shuttle to Playa.

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discontinuation of Free Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen from CAT

Emailed my friend who is there at the moment and she confirmed that is was cancelled - not operating now and the Desk couldn't tell them if it was to be reinstated in the busy season.

We were at EDSS last week and a taxi from there to PDC was 200 pesos each way. We got the Colectivo to PDC and a taxi back.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discontinuation of Free Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen from CAT

Chances are the taxi union had something to do with the shuttle being discontinued also. They have forced this in other resorts. Iberostar Playa Paraiso had a free shuttle to PDC that shut down because of the union. Eventually a third party came in with a shuttle at a minimal cost. (40 pesos per person each way)

Greenfield...
Level Contributor
232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discontinuation of Free Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen from CAT

That's sad that they had to discontinue the shuttle. Since this is our second time to the Cat, we probably won't go in to Playa del Carmen because of that. We will spend our money at the Marina if we want to get away.

Mission, BC, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Mission, Abbotsford
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discontinuation of Free Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen from CAT

We’ve been to the “Cat” 7x & have NEVER used the shuttle. We would just cab it. We would go with another couple, so that worked out to $4 per person each way. Pretty reasonable imho & way more convenient. You come & go when you want, not on someone else’s schedule.

Plus the shuttle you had to book the day before. We would only go to PDC when the mood hit us. Example; we got up one AM & it was cooler & cloudy, so we figured it would be a good day to go to PDC.

Pablo

Fri 10:23 PST

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
638 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discontinuation of Free Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen from CAT

I just contacted my travel agent and he confirmed the shuttle is being discontinued. However he was told this takes effect November 1- not October 1.

Leicester, England
Level Contributor
242 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discontinuation of Free Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen from CAT

Hi all

We just returned from the cat on wednesday :( and the free shuttle was still in use. Nobody mentioned any plans to cancel the free bus.