We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EDSS or Grand Palladium Kantenah. Help!!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
EDSS or Grand Palladium Kantenah. Help!!

Was on the verge of booking the Grand Palladium but am a little concerned at some reviews mentioning the distance from the rooms to the beach- half a mile quoted. Have looked at the edss and they do look stunnig. Can anyone help us make our minds up?

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EDSS or Grand Palladium Kantenah. Help!!

They are two resorts next to each other with about half a mile of the beach in between them. Palladium is located on a much better part of that beach - starting from the sandy area, then going to the rocky tip with the designated snorkeling area before of the rocky part of the shore. GP beach is very long with lots of palapas, palm trees and bushes. There are many accommodation options at GP when you are located very close to the beach, it all depends on what you want to pay, they even have Mayan suites that are right on the best part of the beach, but they are more expensive. We stayed at GP 3 times and only one time we were in about 10 min walk from the beach, the other times we were facing the beach or 5 min from it. Or you are looking at its adult only Royal Yucatan section? It is located further from the beach, but they have free golf carts transportation where ever they want to go any time.

These 2 resorts are very different. EDSS is located on a very rocky part of the beach, people can only snorkel there if they are careful enough to pass between the rocks to inside lagoon. The food is better at EDSS. The entertainment options and other facilities - spa, mini golf, tennis and gym, running, are much better at GP. GP is a resort for the active people that love to walk along the lush grounds, everything is in bloom and very tropical.

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,368 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Hiawatha, Kansas
Level Contributor
854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EDSS or Grand Palladium Kantenah. Help!!

I have stayed at EDSS many times I think I am up to 8 now. Love this resort. Benefits of this resort it is small everything is close, staff very personably they get to know their guest and call them by name within a day or 2. Edss has a very relaxed feeling, while the water is shallow (which does allow for very good snorkeling) the beach itself is beautiful. Many beach beds and lounge chairs. Beach Butlers the staff really does go out of their way to pamper their guest. We do take walks while at EDSS and walk past the Palladium. It does set on a better beach for swimming, it is a very large resort and appears to have plenty of activity. For us we prefer the smaller more intimate resorts, it is just a matter of what you want out of your vacation.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EDSS or Grand Palladium Kantenah. Help!!

Think we will book the EDSS. I love how relaxed and charming it sounds.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EDSS or Grand Palladium Kantenah. Help!!

westie-ru you will not be dissapointed by the EDSS. The beach, while not wide, is more than sufficient for laying on and the snorkelling is very good. The water was not murky while we were there, but very clear. The two times we were there we snorkelled for hours, surrounded by fish. It IS shallow in places, but so easy to move in and once you get out furthur, there is plenty of deep. As for rocky, there are rocks in places, but nothing you can't get around, easily. We have never had water shoes and never wished we had them. The sand is corally, but fine. It is not the powder soft sand you would find elsewhere. Pick up a handful and study the hundreds of tiny pieces of coral and delicate shells. It is very interesting. There are sand whales in spots and the right hand side of the beach is unswimmable. Some people consider them ugly, we think they are amazing places for finding shells and fish. Please do not misunderstand me. There are tons of better beaches out there but......

Every room is close to the beach as the resort runs lengthwise along the beach. It is a small, intimate resort and you will not be just a number. Staff will know you quickly by name and treat you like a king (or queen!) The food is amazing and the rooms are gorgeous, even the standard gardenview. The 24 hour included room service is divine. There are no kids, anywhere.

The beach butlers and the wonderful beach beds are awesome.

GP looks very nice, but it is huge and busy, the complete polar opposite. I would take quiet and relaxed, intimate and personal service anyday. It's a fair trade off in our books. It's all about what YOU like. Enjoy, where ever you end up!

-Surf:)

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EDSS or Grand Palladium Kantenah. Help!!

We have definitely decided on the EDSS. Qiuet and relaxed is wxactly what we are looking for!

Hiawatha, Kansas
Level Contributor
854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EDSS or Grand Palladium Kantenah. Help!!

I think if relaxation is what you are looking for you will be very pleased.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EDSS or Grand Palladium Kantenah. Help!!

We are travelling at Easter though and when I have checked last years reviews for last easyter they mention that it is really difficult to get a sunlounger or chair. Can anyone comment as to how they found easter at the edss? Thanks.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EDSS or Grand Palladium Kantenah. Help!!

westie-ru we have spent 2 Easters at EDSS, with a third one coming up. We have never, ever not been able to find chairs, EXCEPT around the main pool in the afternoon. The quiet pool always had chairs available.

Also, if you ever did need a chair there on the beach, one word to the beach butler or a waiter and it would be there in a heartbeat. That's the beauty of this little resort.

-Surf:)

Hiawatha, Kansas
Level Contributor
854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EDSS or Grand Palladium Kantenah. Help!!

We have never had an issue finding a lounge chair and I definatley am not an early riser, many times it was 10 -11 am before we headed to the beach.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
19 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EDSS or Grand Palladium Kantenah. Help!!

I have stayed at the Palladium Resort in Jamaica, The Mayan and PV, they are all very lovely resort with great quality service and friendly staff. Lots of everything, food, drinks, entertainment, ect ect. I haven't had a bad experience at any of the Palladiums that I have stayed at.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,368 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico