We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best currency for paying for upgrade at Cat

UK
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Topic
Best currency for paying for upgrade at Cat

Hi,

Can someone please advise on the best currency to use to pay for upgrade at the Cat? And also generally what is the best currency to take with us from the UK for paying for taxi, food etc when away from hotel? We have usually taken Usd.

Cheers

S

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best currency for paying for upgrade at Cat

The best currency to pay or tip for items in any country you travel to is the local currency of that country, in this case that would be the peso.

Mission, BC, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Mission, Abbotsford
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best currency for paying for upgrade at Cat

Mayan_Gringo is right, always best to take the local currency wherever you go.

Just got back from the “Cat” Mon, & you can't pay for ANYTHING at the resort with US cash anymore. Credit cards still OK, but if you want to use cash, no US$. You can still use US$ for tips however.

I found it difficult to get small denominations of pesos for tips however & as such I didn’t see people tipping as much around the bars etc

:-(

Pablo

Fri 07:17 PST

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best currency for paying for upgrade at Cat

We used US Funds for tipping, cabs, shopping in Playa Del Carmen and almost for everything under $50. For the wine at dinner and items in gift shop we charged to the room and paid by credit card at check out. Didn't have or use a single peso while we were there 2 weeks ago.

Edited: 04 February 2011, 15:36
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best currency for paying for upgrade at Cat

Since you're going to have to use a foreign (to you) currency anyway then it makes sense to just use pesos.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best currency for paying for upgrade at Cat

Just use pesos!

At check-out when I needed to pay for the use of our in-room safe, I was given the initial quote and option to pay in CDN dollars although I prefered to pay in pesos.

Before departure I did get myself a large wad of 20 peso bills to use for tipping. Unlike many others resorts, the CAT doesn't have a "tipping culture". Service was excellent and equal whether you tipped or not but I found myself naturally wanting to tip more because of the excellent service we got.

6. Re: Best currency for paying for upgrade at Cat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 14:16