We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe for my wife to wear her wedding rings?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe for my wife to wear her wedding rings?

My wife has a big rock, is this something we should keep at home? She won't be taking it off in Mexico, but will it bring unwanted attention?

Toronto
Level Contributor
218 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe for my wife to wear her wedding rings?

I used to leave my engagement ring at home but wear my wedding ring because it felt weird without a ring on my finger. 2 years ago I lost my wedding ring in Cozumel - I think it must have slipped off my finger while I was swimming in the ocean and I didn't notice until it was too late. So no more jewellery on vacation for me...

Edited: 09 February 2011, 02:26
London, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe for my wife to wear her wedding rings?

I have always felt safe in Mexico but don't take chances. Why not just wear the wedding band or a fake while on vacation? One less thing to worry about.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe for my wife to wear her wedding rings?

I never take good or sentimental jewelry with me. It can be lost or stolen. If it would upset me to lose it then I leave it home.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe for my wife to wear her wedding rings?

The band and engagement ring were saudered together. So she can't just wear the wedding band. She has never taken it off and she says it would feel weird to not wear it. She bought a fake and doesn't like it. I'm telling her to keep it at home. Thanks for the input!!!

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe for my wife to wear her wedding rings?

Like the others, I never take anything I would hate to lose when we travel!

If your wife absolutely insists that she must wear her "rock", then I sure hope you have it properly insured on a separate all risks rider on your house insurance policy.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe for my wife to wear her wedding rings?

I always leave my rock at home. Why call attention to yourself in a foreign country. I want no stress on my vacation. I wore one of my rings in my jewelry box that I never get to wear, not expensive, and not flashy.

Ontario
Level Contributor
336 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe for my wife to wear her wedding rings?

There was a similar post to this a little while ago, and it made me think about how cautious I usually am with my jewelry, bringing some of my favourite pieces and storing my jewelry case in the safe in my hotel room. Someone posted in that thread about not having to stress about jewelry on vacation and it made so much sense to me! So this time, I'm leaving my engagement ring at home and only bringing cheap jewelry that I won't be heartbroken if I lose or damage it.

I feel relieved already! LOL! :)

Amy

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe for my wife to wear her wedding rings?

Wow, you ladies have great advice. I totally agree. We have great insurance but that don't matter, a replacement ring would never be the same. I designed the ring and had it custom made, I even pick the diamond. It has a a lot of sentimental value. I also agree about not wearing something flashy that will draw attention to you.

She has agreed to leave it at home.

Thanks!!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe for my wife to wear her wedding rings?

Daddyof3..good idea. All that matters is that you both know you are married to each other. :)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe for my wife to wear her wedding rings?

not sure how expensive the ring is but jewelry insurance requires annual appraisals for rings over a certain value. the purpose is to ensure coverage for an exact replacement. my ring was designed by my husband as well, center diamond is 2ct DSI, difficult to find. appraisal includes the photos and design blueprints. point is that replacement will be an exact match. i bring mine everywhere but keep them in the safe when off the resort or on the beach where I swim. i see the ring as a symbol of marriage, not the marriage. we're married regardless of the ring :)

this topic has been discussed before here if you are interested:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g663501-i11489-k42…

Edited: 09 February 2011, 14:14