We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to book excursions in Puerto Aventuras

Miami
Level Contributor
72 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to book excursions in Puerto Aventuras

We will be staying at Dreams PA in March (2 adults, 2 children) and would like to book couple of kids friendly excursions. Can you recommend a good tour company?

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to book excursions in Puerto Aventuras

You will have a selection of safe & reliable tour operators right from the activities desk in the lobby area at your resort! We'd recommend using one of them as many of the less-expensive, off-site independent companies selling tours & excursions are not bonded or insured and problems occur regularly down there.

If you are just looking to go to one of the local attractions such as Xel-Ha or Xcaret, just get a taxi or Colectivo and go yourself!

Hope this helps!

Miami
Level Contributor
72 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to book excursions in Puerto Aventuras

Thank you for your reply! Yes, we were thinking about Xcaret, what I don' like about tours (specially with kids) is that you can't do things on your own time and schedule, so I like the idea of being able to take a taxi. I've been reading too about encounter with dolphins, I think we can do it at Xcaret or at Dolphin Discovery... don't know which one would be better.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to book excursions in Puerto Aventuras

Both have web sites that you can peruse and then choose whichever you like best! A Google search will get you their links. If you choose to go off-site, it's a simple task to hail a cab or colectivo. Very easy. Very safe.

Prince Edward County
Level Contributor
40 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to book excursions in Puerto Aventuras

We stayed next door at the Catalonia Yucatan. Although we didnt have our kids on this trip, we did 2 excursions that I would have loved for my boys to go on.

We went to Tulum to the ruins, and a fabulous beach is there so take bathing suits etc...we took the collecto bus from just outside the gated area. Felt ver safe and it was about 2.5 US each, each way. Took a little over a half hour or so to get there.

We also took a cab to Akumal Beach (15$ each way) and spent 4 or 5 hrs there.

Fabulous snorkelling and swimming with the sea turtles. Wonderful beach, some little shops off the beach area and places to get drinks, snacks etc...and a restaurant on the beach etc...(there is web cam to look at the beach).

Loved the sea turtles and snorkelling, ran out of time or we would have gone back again!! There is next year!

Bemidji,MN
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to book excursions in Puerto Aventuras

We have never used a tour group. We just set out on our own & tae either taxi or collectivo to our detsination & do our own thing whereas we have no set time tables we have to follow. If we see something we enjoy & want to spend more time there we are free to do so. Hence if we want to return early we also are able to do so. I also believe you can save $$ just making your own plans.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to book excursions in Puerto Aventuras

Xel-ha is great for kids for sure & the front desk will call you a cab so you can go at your own pace & Akumal beach would be great too, not too deep, beautiful water, turtles & fish. We did Dolphin Discovery, as it's right there, 5 min. walk, it was very nice. Have fun!!

Utah
Level Contributor
248 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to book excursions in Puerto Aventuras

we have also done the non tour way, going to Tulum, Xel ha, and Akumal. Tulumis fantastic, lots of walking, great beach area, very interesting history. Xel ha is a park of sorts, lots to do -cliff jump, lazy river, rope bridge, snorkel, sting rays, and the Dolphins, my wife swam with the dolphins,and had a blast, foot push is a must. also buffet and drinks included. Akumal is great for snorkeling,,,turtles,stingrays, fish of all kinds. we just took the collectivo...$3 flat each way. We did do a tour called the Mayan encounter. it was a fulllll day. kayak,rapel into a cenote lunch with the mayans and a few hours at the Coba ruins. You are still allowed to climb the coba ruins, so that was great, I think the tour was $130. well worth it for such a full day.

Miami
Level Contributor
72 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to book excursions in Puerto Aventuras

Thank you for all the suggestions!! My husband and me have been to Mexico City and the Teotihuacan Pyramids, we loved it but it would have been a lot of walking and climbing for the kids, but we'll think and research about Tulum anyway... I think they will enjoy something like the Akumal beach better. This trip is mostly for the kids, other times we travel without them and do a lot of walking and getting around by ourselfs. I heard the night show at Xcaret is good, maybe we'll go just for the show, they would like that! My first language is spanish so I have no problem getting around and asking... Thanks again for all the tips!!! They are very helpful.

Edited: 13 February 2011, 11:54
9. Re: Best way to book excursions in Puerto Aventuras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2012, 05:23