We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Tulum ruins from Dreams PA

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami
Level Contributor
69 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Tulum ruins from Dreams PA

We'll be at Dreams PA next month and want to visit the Tulum ruins but we don't want to book a tour, so I have a few questions.

Once in the ruins, are there places to eat, drink? We visited the Teotihuacan pyramids couple of years ago and the facilities were at the entrance, but once in the ruins there was nothing but people selling bottles of water.

Also, I heard about the beach, do they have chairs, etc? Can we change right there at the beach? Is the beach small?

Once we decide to go back, can we leave directly from the beach to the hotel (take a taxi) or we have to walk all the way back.

We are traveling with 2 kids, so any extra suggestion is welcome.

Mission, BC, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Mission, Abbotsford
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Tulum ruins from Dreams PA

Hola Marleee,

All the shops etc are outside the entrance to Tulum, and it is a bit of a walk back to the entrance. Although they do have a bus/wagon sort of thing to shuttle you back which I believe you have to pay for that as well, though not sure how much, we just walked, took about 10 minutes. I didn’t even see anyone selling water inside.

As far as the beach goes, we didn’t go to the beach as we were with some local friends that took us. There is some stairs that lead down to the beach below the ruins. Picture here;

http://tinyurl.com/6jl65lm

Didn’t see any change rooms or anything, not even bathrooms for that matter. I do believe that there is another “Public Beach” there though but we didn’t go.

Hope this helps…

Pablo

Fri 14:26 PST

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Tulum ruins from Dreams PA

At the entrance, where you park your car or are droped off, there are many vendors, restaurants and restrooms. From there you can take a wagon to the ruins or walk about 10 minutes. No food, water or facilities at the ruin site itself. The beach is below the ruins and there are no chairs. Just a beach where you can swim in the ocean. You will need to walk back the 10 minutes or ride the wagon to the entrance to catch transportation back to Dreams.

Edited: 26 February 2011, 05:40
Cobble Hill, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Tulum ruins from Dreams PA

Like the others have said there is no food or drinks inside. There is a market place outside of Tulum ruins you can find food to eat. The beach is small and can be over crowded at times when tour buses show up but then it clears out again. There were some public washrooms by the entrance I believe which was by donation when we were there last year. We took the colectivo but with a couple small kids you could also take a cab.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
745 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Tulum ruins from Dreams PA

Easy trip with beautiful sites, but as mentioned, once inside the ruin area there is no amenities what so ever. We went last May and it was very hot. Make sure you carry in your own water, you will need it. Also the beach is wonderful, but there are no showers at all. We came out with sand all in our suits and had to wait till we got to the hotel to rinse off.

Vancouver bc
Level Contributor
331 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Tulum ruins from Dreams PA

When we were there a couple years ago it was free or by donation on Sunday other days of the week a entrance fee was charged get a private guide as you enter its the best way to tour the ruins. The beach is fantastic no commercial ventures but just the whole swimming beneth the ruins on a lovely sandy beach was worth bring the swim suit and towel. We traveled by collective down and grabbed a taxi back as we had done sone shopping. Sure wish we were headed back soon.

Miami
Level Contributor
69 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Tulum ruins from Dreams PA

Thank you so much for the answers!!! I appreciate all the detailed info.

7. Re: Going to Tulum ruins from Dreams PA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 16:17