We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low rating for wrong reasons

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Low rating for wrong reasons

I would like to start with saying I have not been yet to Cat, going in 6 weeks. But when I read some reviews when people say that CAT is not good enough and compare it to higher star rated hotels. Well don't do it, this is 3-4 star hotel, so you don't expect same thing which you would get 5 star, would you?! Thats why it cost so much less.

And tipping? I tip for good service, not to get something better - I believe if someone give you good attention and care for you, you should tip to show your appreciation - not to get something extra. I have been to some hotels which were ranked 3 stars, and they were brilliant - you maybe did not get high end alcohols, but normals brands and it was all fine - as long as service is good, they feed you well, why just don't enjoy your hols.

3 stars in Mexico would not be the same 3 stars in NY or London, would it?

I'm sure we will be happy with what CAT can offer, I thing I have a good picture -nice location, hopefully with lots of sun and some snorkelling - I'm not going there for culinary experience - but holidays in the sun, where I can be cared for. I'm sure we will get it.

Sorry for moan, just needed to vent it.

Edited: 26 February 2011, 22:21
Mission, BC, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Mission, Abbotsford
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low rating for wrong reasons

No Problemo CahirUK, with that attitude you will be SURE to have a ¡Vacaciones excelentes!

And I think you just may be pleasantly surprised. I’ve always found the “Cat” to have 5* service & the staff more than make-up any slight imperfections that you may experience in the “Physical” experience.

BTW, I’ve only been 8x now & am planning my 9th in May for our 35th anniversary…

Pablo

Sat 15:40 PST

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low rating for wrong reasons

To be fair and honest, multiple time returning guests get perks the rest of us don't but that's the nature of the beast. Loyalty deserves a reward!

We enjoyed this resort for the first time in late January and for the price we paid, we most definitely got our money's worth- even without trying to empty all the booze bottles at the bars. LOL!

The list of amenities at the resort is more extensive than what we've found at a much higher rated resort, but then you do get to use both resorts which is a huge bonus. Sure the Yucatan side rooms are a bit dated, but hey the room was clean, the bed comfy, the AC worked well, no lack of hot water and realistically, how much time do you spend in your room anyways. Staff are good to beyond excellent and many of them make this resort! Management are especially hands on which is really important too!

No doubt that you'll have a great time CahirUK! Enjoy!!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
822 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low rating for wrong reasons

And that spa was most def a 5 star!

-Surf:)

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Low rating for wrong reasons

I agree that when evaluating we have to compare apples to apples and not to oranges and def. remember the price difference and why did you book in first place. I remember when we had to settle on staying at the Viva Wyndham Maya over the New Years as everything else was ridiculously expensive and people writing in their reviews - "next time we'll pay a little more and stay at the next door resort to the right" - which happened to be Riu Palace Mexico with the cost as twice as expensive as Viva Maya!

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low rating for wrong reasons

We have never, and likely will never stay at a 5 star, so it really is not fair for me to compare the two, but for me, there is nothing I would want that the Cat does not offer. We leave shortly for our 4th trip there. I don't live in a glamorous mansion at home, and am most comfortable in places that mirror my life at home. And for sure, I don't get waited on at home like I do at the Cat, nor can I snorkel and have sun and warmth. Our first trip to Mexico was to the Viva Wyndham Maya...and we loved it as well. I would rather pay less, and go more often..and lucky for me, that matches my budget.....though going more often then I do, sure would be nice. I love that the Cat is not glitzy, nor do I like to have to dress up like crazy, to go to the a la cartes. Counting down the hours here!!!!

England
Level Contributor
376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Low rating for wrong reasons

Hi CahirUK

Think I might have just read the review you are talking about. I totally agree with you. This will be our third time (we leave in 7 weeks) to the Cat. We even got married there and they couldn't have done enough for us. It was 5 years since we last went and I've heard there's a lot of changes since then - I heard about these changes from my in-laws that have been almost every year since our wedding for 3 weeks at a time. I've been to another AI hotel in Dominican Republic and whilst there I wished we were at the Catalonia.

Are you going for 2 weeks? We might see you there if you do.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Low rating for wrong reasons

I totally agree with the sentiment here.

We spent a week at EDSS last year. It was lovely and we enjoyed it. But honestly, some of those things that others really relish about this resort, we found became tiresome after a while. For example, I would have killed for a buffet after a few days, if even just for lunch. I found that waiting to be seated and wainting to have your order taken just got to be too much. I'd so much rather be sitting on the beach.

The tone of the place, while very professional, felt almost stuffy. I was looking for something less formal and more relaxed. That's not to say EDSS isn't very good at what it does -- it's just that what it does is not to my taste. I know that there are many for whom this place is absolutely heaven.

I've really come to understand that what I'm looking for is unique to me. And I have to read reviews with that in mind. I've landed on some good 3-4 stars and it means that, while I still can't afford to go more than once a winter, I can now stay for 2 weeks! Bonus!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
660 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Low rating for wrong reasons

You gotta love these repiles,right to the point..remember you get what you pay for ...and we always have gotten our monies worth down there at the cat ..but to each his or her own......bc-it guy any chance you will be down there last week of may to help us keep BIG DAVE and his women in line????....lol...cosmo

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Low rating for wrong reasons

Thanks guys for replies, I can see I'm not alone in my finding.

@gownlady - we will be there from 10th April for 2 weeks :), can't wait.

Choctaw, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Low rating for wrong reasons

OK Cosmo, what makes you think I want to be kept in line??? I can do that at home, the rules are different at the CAT. I like to blur the lines a bit while I'm there. 6th trip coming up and I can't wait to see all of the friends we've made over the years, both staff and travelers. I feel like the whole lot of you are part of our extended family. Yes Cosmo, even you, the gimp turtle, LOL

BigDave