We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water color various areas?

Iowa
Level Contributor
301 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Water color various areas?

Hi everyone,

Darn photo-shop users! I know they are doctoring water color in a lot of the resort pics & condo pics.

Can you help?

(I don't mind green, but want to take my boys to see blue)

___?___What is the sand/water color in front of/at:

Cat Maya

Villas Del Mar Condo's

& Akumal bay

___?__Is it an easy walk from the Cat Maya to the main Puerto beach

(I have very young kids & we have to go in the heat of June) or.....can we just take a cab to plop us someplace with free access?)

Thanks!!!!!

Mission, BC, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Mission, Abbotsford
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water color various areas?

Hola,

OK, so have a look at my Picasa Web albums. There’s pix from all 12 of my visits there & none of them are “Photo-Shopped!” I outta know, as I took em & posted em…

picasaweb.google.com/AplusNetworkSolutions

Check this one in particular, it’s one of my favs & was taken right at/in front of the “Cat”…

http://tinyurl.com/4hxkhsu

All the sand in the area is a fine almost white colour, or that I’ve seen so far anyways. The main PA beach is only a 5 – 10 min easy walk from the “Cat.”

And Akumal is a free beach (As ALL beaches are public, but to get to some of them you have to go through private property) & a short cab ride away from PA...

Hope this helps.

Pablo

Tue 22:31 PST

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,481 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Water color various areas?

Look at the webcams

I love the Akumal one

locogringo.com/Upload/akumal-beach-cam.html

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water color various areas?

Just pop down the road to Akumal Bay and enjoy the view.

minneapolis, mn
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Grand Marais
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water color various areas?

I'm looking out at the bay in front of the Omni right now and it's a beautiful, Caribbean blues with a little green in the shallows where the sand is stirred up. Temp is about 85 with a light breeze....I can't imagine anyone who could look out here right now and be disappointed with the color :-)

Iowa
Level Contributor
301 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water color various areas?

Thank you guys!

Your replies were great except now I really wish I had booked the Cat.

I booked the cheap side of Barcelo for $400 more for 9 nights (in a cramped hotel room where we could have had a 1 bedroom at the Cat MUCH cheaper) because it looked like the Cat had a terrible beach. The beach looks just fine in your pictures.

Ugh......I booked Orbitz, so I can't cancel....darn, darn, darn.......

Well, maybe next year

Thanks!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water color various areas?

Google Earth can be useful. I have looked up a number of resorts to verify water color. Of course, The maps are not always up to date or some may not be clear but in many cases, they are very good around Cancun and PDC.

Yes, they do Photo Shop the water sometimes. Back before TA, I went to the Moon Palace (2000). The water was clearly photo shopped and I was extremely disappointed. It is one of the reasons I am not a fan of Palace Resorts.

With Google Earth, you can clearly see the difference between the water at The Moon Palace and other hotels. Bing Maps also works well - the photos south of Cancun are a little dark but they are more recent than the Google imagery. It is lighter in PDC and the PA area but resolution is not as high.

Maryland,USA
Level Contributor
75 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water color various areas?

I am so jealous ..we will be there in June...it is 38 degrees here!

Are the restaurants good at the hotel?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water color various areas?

Even better, go to the TA page for the hotel you want and click on "Map This Hotel". It will pull up a page from Expedia, Hotels.com... that links to Google Maps or similar. Choose satellite view and there you have it - a pretty good depiction of what the beach will look like. In most areas, you can zoom in pretty close.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water color various areas?

growing2boysInIowa - the beach at Barcelo is much better then at the CAT for the swimming and the views there are awesome, you made the right choice if the goal is to swim in the sea. At the CAT people can only snorkel in a cove and can not walk along the beach as it is a rocky shore. I do not want to sound negative toward the CAT, it is probably a good resort as there are so many people keep going there, but it is not the right place for the beach lovers. The water color is pretty much the same at all the resorts in PA area - awesome -at Barcelo, Palladium, Catalonias and by some reason it is much brighter then in the areas closer to the airport. The sand is very good at Barcelo and that part of the beach by the cheaper Beach/Caribe sections is shallow and completely sandy.

Haddon Heights, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Water color various areas?

Growing dont feel too bad . the Barcelo is a nice property . The beach at Barcelo is much nicer . Its a huge property with a lot of activities and amneties and some shared amneties with its sister hotels . You should have a great time . I've been to the Cat before too and I'm going back in June my deciding factor was cost . I love the area .

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras
Recent Conversations