We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there too many British at edss?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Are there too many British at edss?

Impossible, I say! My wife and I will be staying at the edss from 10/21-10/26 and, from reading the posts here, it appears a majority of guests are from Great Britain!! We've never been to England so it would be like getting the best of England (it's people) in a tropical setting! From your experience, is this true?

British things I love (in no particular order):

The Office (BBC, American version is horrible)

Monty Python

Victoria Beckam

Benny Hill

The Industrial Revolution

Big Ben...Parliament (Look, kids)

Stone Henge

Spinal Tap

The Beatles

The language

The Cockney Accent...actually all British accents

Fish and Chips

Breast size

Princess Di

Relaxed TV censorship (pertaining to nudity)

George Orwell

British things I hate:

1. Colleen McDermott...did you really need to burn my house down and take the dog?!?!?!?!

2. Warm pints of lager

Anyone else have anything to add?

Edited: 31 August 2011, 14:36
Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there too many British at edss?

There are a fair amount of guests from the UK - Scottish and Welsh as well as English (don't put your foot in it) !!! :0) There were also a fair amount from the US and Canada too. Oh and you can get fish 'n' chips on the room service menu which was pretty good!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there too many British at edss?

I never get the warm lager thing lol, I'm a Brit, but always drink lager cold (not freezing as that just hurts my teeth, but definitely chilled). Ales are a different matter, I don't like them cold, just very slightly chilled (or even room temperature)

Fish and chips rock though, but you need to experience them in Britain IMPO, they're not the same elsewhere; can't beat eating them on the sea front, wrapped in paper and covered in salt and vinegar, yum!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there too many British at edss?

When we were there about 75% of the guests were Brits.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there too many British at edss?

Is this resort heavily promoted in the UK? I have noticed the majority of posters are Brits...not that there's anything wrong with that. (We have dear friends from the UK. We meet up at EDR once or twice a year.) Just an observation. Rarely do I see any posts from an American.

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there too many British at edss?

Don't forget rioting in the streets.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there too many British at edss?

Several UK TO's have the EDSS, and it's one of the more reasonably priced adult-only properties; 2 weeks with flights and transfers starts from about £1500 ($2250) pp if you get a good deal, whereas most other adult-only properties are priced significantly higher. So that possibly explains it's appeal.

I think it's also billed quite heavily as a 'honeymoon' hotel as it's adults only, and quite small and intimate; I'm on a few wedding forums and it seems a lot of UK TOs recommend it to honeymooners.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there too many British at edss?

Yes, meant United Kingdom! Removing foot as I type.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there too many British at edss?

My bad , it should have read:

"...Princess Di

Relaxed TV censorship (pertaining to nudity)

George Orwell

Rioting in the streets"

The Philadelphia flash mobs are amateurs compared to the hooligans...i'd put my money on the hooligans over flash mobs any day!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there too many British at edss?

Yea, that's what got me thinking of all the things I love about the United Kingdom! thought it was weird though, like I was on tripadvisor.uk or something.

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there too many British at edss?

London - if you want fish 'n' ships proper you should try some of the scottish chippies - amazing!! Not sure about some places down south that keep the skin on...... :0)