We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Review to come soon. Any questions?

Rochester
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

We just booked a week in March. Our only concern is the difficulty in booking the A-La-Carte Restaurants. We don't mind the buffets for lunch but we would like to book as many A-La-cartes as possible. Any Tips?

Thank-You

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Hello there, I've been checking into this resort as there are some great prices for it.......how did it compare to VIM? Did you happen to meet "Spotsmom" as she was/is there this week too?:) TIA, Margaret

Florida
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Palermitano, March is high season. So you should book as soon as you check in. We had no problems getting reservations, but right now is low season. During high season it appears to be more of a challenge.

bridgenut, we GREATLY prefer Barcelo Palace to the VIM in almost every aspect - beach, food, staff, property. As this was low season, there were no hoardes of people. There were plenty of places by the pools, on the beach and on the property to be off to yourself if you wished. There are also very few kids this time of year. The walkways and water features around the property reminded us of VIM. If you stay in just your section, the property does not feel too large at all. At least it did not to us. If you want to venture to the other sections, there is a lot to explore. The only thing VIM has that was better in our opinions is the bed/pillows - it is firm. We slept just fine though. We did not mind the bed so much but the pillows are BRICKS! We have never experienced such hard pillows in our entires lives. If I swung one at my husband, I'd probably knock him out.

We did meet Spotsmom and her hubby. Lovely people and they are really enjoying their vacation.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Thx. I understand there are evening shows? Is there also a band or a place for dancing (apart from the disco)? How did you like the location of your room? TIA Margaret

Florida
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

The Barcelo Palace Theater has a show every night at 9:30. They do karaoke one night in the 24 hour lounge in the lobby. They were a lot of people in there and they were really having a good time singing and dancing. We did not see any bands or places to dance other than Jaguars(the discotheque) but we weren't ever looking for that. I think they had music and dancing some evenings when they had events in the Mexican Plaza - Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Our room location was good. We were in the first non-smoking building. The Barcelo bus picks up and drops off at the 3rd building. We got dropped off there several times so any of the buildings would have been ok. There is a bit of walking no matter what.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Hi Love2norkel!

Happy to hear you had a nice time. Can you tell me if the Palace has it's own kids waterpark or is the one in the pics currently the one located in the Colonial section?

I know that there aren't any palapas on the beach, but did you feel the palms were adequate for sun protection? Three out of the 5 of us burn rather easily :)

How about the alcohol? Do you get premium brand liquor or do you have to upgrade in this section too?

Last question: Was there alot of clumpy, scratchy/prickly sea plants floating around in the water? My kids don't mind sea grass but they literally freak out if those sea plants brush up against their legs. lol How about sting rays? Did you have to do a lot of the curly 'shuffle?' heheee

Thanks for your help!

**Hi Bridgenut! Hope you and the hubby are doing well and enjoying your new warm and sunny climate :)

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Thx Love2. What is the "Barcelo" bus? I've read a lot of stuff about the resort, but don't recall any info on a bus......Did you e-mail beforehand making any room requests and if so, were they honoured?

** Hello there Dana!:) Fab in our world! I just booked G and I for this hotel on Friday night - was a great price I couldn't miss!:) We'll be there 17th - 24th Oct. Hope you and family are well. Mags

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Wow, talk about last minute. Good for you. We are all doing very well here.....just looking forward to our next vacation, as usual :)

Florida
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Hi, roostergirl. Yes, Palace has its own kids waterpark. It's the one with the dragon, fish and slides. It looks like this: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g153510-d673129…

I was very nervous about shade on the beach as we are beach people. We were surprised that the palm trees did provide enough shade. This was a concern for Spotsmom too and she was also pleased with the amount of sun protections the trees provided. Except when in the water, we spent our entire days on the beach under the trees. We didn't get burned at all and my husband will burn in 10 minutes.

No problem with getting premium alcohol for any Palace guest. You do not need to upgrade to club level. If you go to one of the other sections, you can still get Don Julio, Stoli or whatever but you will have to sign for it as those guests do not get premium alcohol for free. For example, the ticket will say "Margarita Don Julio - Palace (FREE)" and they will ask you to put your name and room number. We had to do this several times when eating or getting a drink at one of the other sections and had no issues.

No problem with "alot of clumpy, scratchy/prickly sea plants floating around in the water". Hahaha! Occasionally a little bit of seawood but mostly clear water and nothing prickkly or scratchy. What you see in the pictures is what you get! I'm sure that could change a bit if some rough weather came through but it would probably clear up in a day or two.

Coming from Florida, we ALWAYS do the stringray shuffle. Not the poor animals fault if it someone steps on one and I have see this happen. There are large nice sandy areas to get into the water. Stingray shuffle out. They will hightail it out of the way before you ever get to one. The more people in that area of water, the less likely a stingray is around as they would have already moved and stayed away from the commotion. I did see 2 stingrays. One was pretty far out - at least 15 feet deep. Yes, the water was that clear that day and she was bigger one lying on the ocean floor. No worries there as to far down for anyone to step on. I saw a smaller one lying in the sand under water that was in about 3-4 feet of water. There was no one in the water in the area at the time and I was snorkeling. We heard no incidents at all so it really isn't something to worry about. Hope that helps!

bridgenut - Hi, again. Yes, I e-mailed a week before asking for a nonsmoking room, king bed and top floor. We got nonsmoking room, king bed and 2nd floor. We were plenty happy. Wish we were going back with you in a couple of weeks. I really hope you enjoy it.

I submitted my extremely long review with 9 pictures last night. It will probably take a month to post but I will let everyone know when it does.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Ahhh, thank you so much. Very helpful! Can't wait to read your review!