We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Review to come soon. Any questions?

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Snorkel! It was great to meet you and your husband! After you left, we spent every day in the water with the turtles - we have hundreds of photos and videos. Also, the area to the left of the beach where the little reef is we hung out there too - did you see the giant brain coral in about 5 feet of depth?

And all, everything she says here is right on. The Palace was amazing for the money. During low season there were very few kids, and the only annoying behavior we saw in 8 days came from adults at the adult-only pool. I think during high season the place would be a bit of a nightmare as Barcelo has a bunch of rules and regs that are designed, I think, with high season in mind and the control that would be necessary for a resort with 750+ rooms.

Tons of shade on the beach - tons. The palms provide ample shade and I was worried before the trip. There is some shade at the pool, too.

Rooster, there are fish everywhere. In certain areas, they might bump you and they will surround you. It is a like a Magic Kingdom of sea life.

The Palace was better than either Secrets Maroma or Excellence Riviera Cancun in many aspects. At least in low season. Some low points, the pillows that Snorkel mentioned are the worst ever; the reception staff in the lobby, no drink service on the beach might bug some. The alacartes at the Palace were good to very good (the French and Caribe we loved; the Brazilian was OK); the food at the other restaurants in the complex was not as good.

The bus is a bus that goes to all 5 resorts in the complex and runs every 20 minutes.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Thank you, Spotsmom for answering about the bus. I totally forgot to respond to that. I'm glad to hear the rest of your week was just as good. Yes, we saw the huge brain coral. We took some pictures too. The water looked so nice and clear the day we left. I was sad not to be able to get back in. Glad you guys got some good pics and vids too!

Yes, the bus is the shuttle around the resort. They had 1 going. I'm sure during busier seasons they have 2 or 3 running.

I have to agree with Spotsmom. The only poor behavior(actually appalling) we witnessed came from the swarm of senior citizens at the adult pool. They were very loud, rude and vulgar.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Really, the kids were indeed a non issue. Off season rocks!

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Thx Love2 and Spots for the info. So nice to hear you both enjoyed it....and I'm glad I jumped on the great price!:):) We are both "beach" people (but need shade) seems like I don't need to take our portable beach umbrellas..:) But, I WILL take my own pillow!

Would you suggest water shoes or not bother? We stayed at Barcelo a number of years ago (Colonial I think) and I really can't remember if ocean bed was rocky or not......

Looking forward to your reviews. Cheers! Margaret

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

We used the water shoes once, and then not again. You really don't need them in front of the Palace.

Bridge, when you are you going? During high season shade might be a bit more of an issue, but really, there are so many trees on the beach, there is always some sort of shade.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

We didn't use water shoes at all. There are plenty of clear areas to get in the water along the whole stretch of beach.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Booked it on Frid night; leaving two weeks today 17th - 24th Oct ($122 per night for TWO people on Orbitz as part of package out of Miami - couldn't believe the price!) So, def not high season:) Hopefully, our experience is as good as yours and Snorkel's.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Excellent price! Even better than what we paid which was $160 for two per night on SkyAuction. Does your price include air or is that just land?

I hope you too have a great experience.

I loved the location of our room in the 8100 area of the Michoacan building. It is as close as you can get to the pool/beach/lobby without paying for Club Premium. The Oaxaca building is a bit closer, but I also think it is a smoking building. And there are lots of smokers. There are lots of Europeans and Mexicans. North Americans were in the minority. It was very refreshing :)

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Spots: Total price for two people with air out of Miami was $1329 - the air portion is $480.....7 nights, hence $122 (roughly!:) per night. Did you also e-mail ahead with room requests and if so, what e-mail address did you use? TIA, Margaret

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Just got in last night from Barcelo Maya Palace.

Geez Marg, where do you find these deals?

The last incredible deal we found was in Sept of 09 at the Grand Palladium Riviera. $135 per night for 5 people (2 adults and 3 kids). Rougly $1500 for an 11 night stay. Then charter (non stop)air out of St. Louis was an addition $1500. But still a great deal for a family of 5 for 11 nights! Seems like those times are long gone!!!