We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

el dorado seaside suites to Tulum

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
durham
Level Contributor
63 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
el dorado seaside suites to Tulum

We are staying at the EDSS in February and would like to visit Tulum. Is it possible to get a bus from the vicinity of the resort into Tulum. I know there will be excursions but would like to do it DIY.

If there is a bus how long does it take?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: el dorado seaside suites to Tulum

rent a car and drive?

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
155 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: el dorado seaside suites to Tulum

Be careful about renting a car as I have heard horror stories about the police

stopping you and fineing you for anything they can think of.I would take a guieded tour as he tells you about the area as you are going and when you get there.Take the one at the front lobby of the EDSS.(Loomas)They do a good job.We are at the EDSS this Wed till the 25th.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: el dorado seaside suites to Tulum

there are lots tourists driving rental cars around the yucatan every day. you can hear horror stories about driving anyplace. there are risks involved so read the top question and decide. a car rental is a great way to see the yucatan.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
271 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: el dorado seaside suites to Tulum

TOTALLY recommend the "collectivo" shuttle buses...search on these forums for more info. We've been to EDSS 3 times, back this weekend, and to the area 9 times in past 10 years. Have rented cars before and done tours, I now recommend the collectivos; they're so, so easy, cheap, and convenient; walk out to end of road fr. EDSS lobby, go across hwy. to side headed South to Tulum & within about 2 minutes a white van w/ turquoise blue writing on the sides will pull up to see if you need a ride; these are the collectivos; used by tons of locals and tourists, they go up & down the highway all the time and cost next to nothing. I think we pay $1 or $2 ea. one way to Akumal; Tulum is prob. like $5 or $6 one way pp. Theyre nice vehicles, air conditioned, clean, and usually drivers are pretty bi-lingual. Takes away any worries about driving o vacay, foreign insurance issues (& high costs!) and legal issues. We takes it all the time from EDSS to Akumal and back and also plan to take to Tulum this time. Note: at Tulum, to get to the beach, I don't think the collectivos go, so will have to walk path (like a mile?), rent a bike in town, or pay a taxi ($10?)

HTH!

Kris. :)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
271 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: el dorado seaside suites to Tulum

Oops! I think it's like 20 minutes or so to Tulum (town). Akumal ride is like 5. But, also count in time from lobby to hwy. (like 1/2-3/4 mi.) and same distance into Akumal; Tulum town is right on hwy., and so is ruins entrance, but beach accesses are longer like I talked about in above post.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,249 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: el dorado seaside suites to Tulum

Please try a colectivo

See

http://www.travelyucatan.com/collectivo.php

Try some of the other forums (PDC ,Akumal, Tulum and read ther hints and DIY trips in the Top Questions

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: el dorado seaside suites to Tulum

HI all does anyone know, can you take the collectivo to Coba, or just it just go along the coast?

oh
Level Contributor
487 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: el dorado seaside suites to Tulum

Kris&Terry - you mentioned you traveled to Akumal from EDSS a few times - we will be at EDSS in March - any recommendations on what to do and where to go in Akumal - also have you ever chartered one of the panga fishing boats out of there.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,440 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: el dorado seaside suites to Tulum

The collectivo just goes up and down Highway 307, one set goes PDC to Tulum and the other goes PDC to Cancun. To get to Coba you would need to take the ADO bus from Tulum, or hire a private taxi from there if you do not want to drive.

durham
Level Contributor
63 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: el dorado seaside suites to Tulum

travelyucatan.com is an excellent site - good info about colectivo's