We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Barcelo Palace

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just returned from Barcelo Palace

We had an amazing time - it was everything we wanted and more. We had a few reservations beforehand but they quickly went away. If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them! :)

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Barcelo Palace

Welcome Back! Hope you'll consider posting a resort review in that particular section here at TripAvisor!

Middletown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from Barcelo Palace

My husband and I are considering this resort but are wondering about the food and drink available. Is there premium alcohol and how does the food compare to other resorts of this size in Mexico? Have you been to other resorts along the Riviera or was this your first trip to Mexico?

If you have, how does this compare?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions. Oh one more question, did the have a Micheal jackson show?

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from Barcelo Palace

Hello Eva - what were the beer choices at the Palace? Also, what was the brand of Vodka...Smirnoff, Absolute, Grey Goose? I know....priorities!

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from Barcelo Palace

Alisha - we have been to the Grand Sirenis and the Bahia Principe Akumal, and to compare....there is no comparison. I may relate the above to the Colonial/Tropical section in certain areas, but the food was better at the Barcelo. They had prawns the size of my arm at the buffet, had a station where they will make you fresh scallops and shrimp to order, and we had lobster and king crab at the ala cartes.

One of the things I really appreciated at the Palace was the service. I don't mind waiting for a drink or service in the buffet, but the Palace was staffed properly and you never had to wait for anything. I even had servers ask to carry my buffet plates back to the table for me.

Our first day there I was ready to spend the day on the beach becuase we slept a little late and didn't finish breakfast until almost 11. There were still plenty of beds with shade at the pools, even the adult pool. I couldn't believe it. That was a real treat, not having to play the towel game.

We didn't catch any of the shows, but the theatre at the Palace is air conditioned. All of the restaurants and buffets were also air conditioned, something that was lacking at the other resorts we have visited.

And yes, there was premium alcohol everywhere. The only thing I noticed was (and it makes perfect sense) that if you wanted to shoot your tequila they didn't give you Don Julio, it was Hornitos or el Jimador. If you travel around to the other sections they have premium alcohol as well that is available at no charge to Palace guests.

We really had a wonderful time, and will be back in the fall. :)

New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from Barcelo Palace

Eva- just mentioning shrimp, scallops, lobster, and king crab has let me know that I made the right decision! If I could eat seafood all day every day I would be a very happy person!!! Did you have a favorite meal?

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from Barcelo Palace

Whitesands - I know they had Smirnoff and Abolut, but I'm not a big vodka drinker and didn't notice Grey Goose. Maybe someone else can confirm? They had top shelf tequilas, Grand Marnier and Drambui, Tanqueray gin - wouldn't be surprised if they had Grey Goose.

New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from Barcelo Palace

Crepes? I know I've read somewhere about dessert Crepes - just wondering if anyone can tell me when/where they have them and if you might have noticed them making Crepes with nutella?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,278 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from Barcelo Palace

Thanks, Eva! Sounds great...we are going for ten days in February and can't wait.

Couple of questions- are there cabs at the main lobby waiting or do you have to get them to call for you, do you know?

What kind of toiletries are there in the bathroom? Just wondering if I need to pack bar facial soap or not.

Did you have any issues reserving your a la cartes and which were your favourites?

How are the wines?

Edited: 17 January 2012, 17:12
Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from Barcelo Palace

Thats awesome info! Which restaurant had the king crab?

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from Barcelo Palace

Thanks Eva....what about the beer selection?