We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish!

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durango, CO
Level Contributor
100 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Jellyfish!

Is it jellyfish season there right now? How long does it last? Thanks!

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,604 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish!

Jellyfish can be present anytime the water temperature, current, and prevailing winds bring them towards shore along the Riveria Maya. Typically, April thru July has the highest incidence, and they can be there one day, and suddenly disappear the next, so don't let this worry you. If they are present, signs and/or flags will be posted at the resort areas that have protected beachfronts.

It's not so-much the actual jellyfish, but rather, their larvae that some folk refer to as "sea-lice" that is the issue. Unless you are allergic, it's more of an itchy red bumpy rash along the bathing suit line than anything else. Here is a link to a very informative web site that also offers an excellent product you can purchase if you feel the need for a measure of protection:

www.buysafesea.com/sea_lice.php

Hope this answers your concerns!

Durango, CO
Level Contributor
100 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish!

Thank you so much! I almost always have issues with the 'sea lice" which was my actual concern. But now I know that I can be proactive thanks to you!

minneapolis, mn
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Grand Marais
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish!

safesea works quite well..but, when are you going? If you're going now, it's early and you shouldn't worry about the issue....

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish!

So, you treat sea lice to be rid of it, then? It's not something that goes away on it's own??? Gross.......can I get sea lice if I am swimming in the ocean, or is it something you can get from the sand! We live in 3 weeks.......yikes!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish!

I take a small bottle of white vinegar in a travel bottle. Always have it in my beach bag or snorkel bag. There is more that can sting you than sea lice, including jellyfish, small floating bit of fire coral and then there's the no-see-ums. If I get out of the water and have a bit of a sting sensation on my body someplace I just put vinegar on it. Has yet to fail me!

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish!

Great idea!! My husband and I LOVE to snorkel.......after hearing what great snorkeling Barcelo has, I will bring the remedy!!

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish!

I tend to overprepare but I have to say I've had to use this remedy on every trip to Mexico. Once a stray piece of tentacle wrapped around my thigh in Playa, and last time in Akumal I got out of the water and my arm had a tiny dot that burned like hell. No idea but probably a nematocyst from a coral or whatnot. I also always have Benadryl. I have a little kit of sorts.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,083 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish!

Thanks for the tip Skeleton.................

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jellyfish!

Have fun!

Durango, CO
Level Contributor
100 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jellyfish!

Thank you again, All for your responses! We will be there on May 18th and looking very forward to it. But it does seem that I always get a dreadful rash from these "sea lice" baby jellies, plus a few jellyfish stings when we are in the Caribbean. I'll get some safesea and bring my vinegar! Hopefully I'll be able to avoid the worst of it this way. I guess I could just stay out of the water, but what fun would that be? It's funny, but my husband never has a problem with it. And I'll bet that a lot of these folks that think they got bedbugs really have sea lice stings because they don't show up until later. One really valuable thing that I've learned is not to rinse off in fresh water after you've been swimming because this somehow activates the sea lice in your swimsuit...remove your swimsuit first, then shower off (in the privacy of your own place, of course :)!

Edited: 12 April 2012, 17:19
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras