We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

byo snorkel gear :)

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
265 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
byo snorkel gear :)

hi all!

after spending way too much time on ta planning my vacation to barcelo in 2 weeks, i've decided i might need some snorkel gear.

if i should bring my own, how does decent gear cost? can i go with cheap stuff? any good websites? i've only been a few times, so i know very little about it.

sorry i know it's a little off the general topic but i'm hoping someone here might have an answer for me. thanks :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
495 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: byo snorkel gear :)

best bang for your buck is Costco.

-p.

Douglasville...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: byo snorkel gear :)

To be quite honest, I got my *cheapo* gear (snorkel, fins, and mask) at Big Lots of all places. At the time, mine was on clearance for $12 a set, but the regular price was only $25/set. This was last year, though.

The year before I bought a Dollar Tree snorkel (tube and mask) just to see if it worked... and basically, it did!

My advice, at least start with Walmart/Target and work your way up, if necessary.

minneapolis, mn
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Grand Marais
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: byo snorkel gear :)

If you don't snorkel a lot...a cheap set will do just fine and you can adandon it if you don't want to pack it home. Have fun!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: byo snorkel gear :)

You can buy good quality gear for around 40 bucks at leisurepro.com

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: byo snorkel gear :)

If you are taking a private ground transfer to the resort, simply have your driver stop at the Walmart in Playa del Carmen.

You can get inexpensive snorkel sets there for $15US and not have to worry about packing them in your luggage!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: byo snorkel gear :)

I have a fairly expensive set that I bought at a dive shop. My husband has a cheapie Costco set which works just as well as mine - in fact, I prefer his snorkel 'cos it seems to fit my mouth better.

IMHO, the most important thing is mask fit - a leaky mask makes for a frustrating snorkelling experience. Here's a link on how to fit a mask properly - …blogspot.ca/2007/08/blog-post.html

7. Re: byo snorkel gear :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 14:17