We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Catalonia riviera maya

Hi all, looking at this hotel for next year. Can anyone tell me what it is like do they have a beach bar. Thanks for any info.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catalonia riviera maya

There's tons and tons of info on this resort. Just type it in the search window, or look at the top questions on the right side of this page.

I've been to the resort 4 times, and going back again in July. I love it. There's lots to love about it.

It does have a beach bar,,,its called the "Pure Chill Bar"...lots of swim up bars too.

Check it out...good luck in yoru searching.

Douglasville...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Catalonia riviera maya

I was there last summer. Here's what I can share with you.

*BEACH*:: Not much of one. No place to really walk, and the sand is pebbly, not sandy. The water is pretty in places, but mostly lots of coral. Ironically, we did NOT see many fish. I can't remember much about it, b/c that part of the resort isn't memorable.

*FOOD*:: For me (I don't eat much Mexican food at all) the food in the buffets wasn't good. I could pick enough to get full, but most of the food wasn't good enough to even remember what I had...EXCEPT for their CREPES!! Oh my goodness, those were the best things EVER! :o) There is a creperie that opens daily at 5pm until 10pm and it gets packed to the point where there are no seats available for long periods of time. Since it's not carry-out (waiters only) if there are no tables, then you'd have to stand there and wait for someone to leave (and then make a dash for it!)

*ROOMS*:: I originally booked a standard room, but once we arrived I was curious about upgrading to the Priviledged section. Once I saw it, I was hooked. Definitely nicer, great bathrooms. Mini fridge with sodas and beer was a big plus. I hadn't thought about how much we'd be wanting a cold drink when returning from an excursion or just when you wake up in the morning, etc. or just at any time I felt like a Pepsi. Beats having to go back out to the beach grill or buffet just to get a drinkWith more than 2 in a room, DEFINITELY worth the extra $450 for 6 nights.

*SHOWS*:: Really good! I enjoyed them alot, and I don't speak Spanish! All of them were great.

*ON-SITE ACTIVITIES*:: Can't say much on that. I don't recall anything but that's because I didn't participate. We were either gone off property or in the water. I do recall a directory with daily itineraries listed in multiple languages (French, Italian, Dutch (I think), German and English, for sure).

*STAFF*:: Exceptional. I needn't say more. ;o)

*LOCATION*:: Now, this is the only iffy thing about this resort, besides the food. It is located within a gated marina community. There is a main gate that says "Puerto Aventuras" right at the main road. Once you enter the gates, there is another 3-5 minute cab ride inside before reaching the Catalonia. For me it's just another think to consider. On days when we took a collectivo somewhere or a cab, we had to get out at the front gates, and THEN get another cab to take us from the gates to the resort....so that's another cab fare. Not cool to me.

Well, that's about all I can think of, right offhand. I will post again if anything else comes to mind.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catalonia riviera maya

Love this resort. Been there 6 times and even got married there. Beach is on a cove and has excellent snorkeling and numerous fish. The area is gated and very safe. The marina and town is 3 - 4 blocks walk. Many restaurants, shops and bars to choose from. The resort has 7 restaurants and all have excellent food and service. Japanese was our favorite. The buffets (2) had a huge selections. We are planning our 7th visit!!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
69 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catalonia riviera maya

DaBride, My daughter is planning her wedding and at this point... CAT is the #1 pick... we are going to November to check it out, but have lots of ?'s... Is it okay if I PM you with some of them?

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catalonia riviera maya

Yes, am happy to answer any questions you have!! Novmber is a perfect time to go and check it out. November is the month we always go.

Edited: 08 May 2012, 16:55
Scotland
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Catalonia riviera maya

I love this resort, we are going back for our 2nd visit on the 4th June , counting the days. We also got married there in 2007 we loved every minute of it :-) :-)

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catalonia riviera maya

im hoping to go to cat in september 2013 with a group from ta that we met in cuba last year and had a fab time

8. Re: Catalonia riviera maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 16:17