We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternatives for Barcelo Maya

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Morganville, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Alternatives for Barcelo Maya

Our background: Around of November of each year our family of 4 is going to one of the All Inclusive resorts in Mexico. For the last few years, our favorite destination is Barcelo Maya Palace ,as combination for beach quality, food, and amenities (in that order) we weren’t able (so far) to find anywhere else in Mexico.

This year, we decided to see what else is out there that can be a worth alternative to Barcelo Palace. What we are looking for is the best beach possible with calm waters, good to excellent food and good kid’s amenities. The only other resorts in Mexico that we tried are various Iberostar resorts – some of them are really good, but all have one disadvantage compare to Barcelo – beach quality. Barcelo beach is way superior to any of the Iberostar resorts. For some reason, in Barcelo, the ocean is always calm (compare to Iberostar) and the beach itself is very big and wide.

Started looking on tripadvisor, but I do not really see any worth alternatives within the price range of Barcelo Palace. Most of the resorts that we like are Adults only. Those that are not, don’t compare favorably to Barcelo Maya. So here is the short list of the resorts that we think might be worth alternatives to Barcello (excluding Iberostars due to the beach) –

Riu Palace – seems to be much older resort with very good beach and nice amenities (don’t know how it compared to Barcelo)

Grand Vilas – excellent resort but way too expansive

Beloved Hotel – same as above

Paradisus La Esmeralda – brand new resort, excellent food. Beach Is smaller and there are conflicting review on its quality. More expansive then Barcelo.

…That’s pretty much it…

Did I miss anything? I would really appreciate any advise. As I said, Beach is number one priority following by food and ammenities.

D.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternatives for Barcelo Maya

Grand Palladium. Can't remember about the beach there though.

I stayed at the Barcelo Maya (Colonial) last year but it was a toss up between there and the Grand Palladium. I can't remember what the deciding factor was - I think it may have been the beach and snorkelling at the Barcelo.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternatives for Barcelo Maya

The Grand Palladium is a nice alternative to the Barcelo but the beach is not as expansive (800 meters vs. 2000 meters), although at the Palladium, you can walk north several hundred more yards to the El Dorado resort before access becomes restricted.

The Paradisus La Esmeralda is a phenomenal new deluxe-level resort in the north part of Playa del Carmen. While the resort-owned beach is not very long, you can walk virtually endlessly to the north & to the south. Plus the food & beverage quality is far-superior to either the Barcelo or the Palladium.

Happy Travels whichever you choose!

Morganville, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternatives for Barcelo Maya

Thank you both for your reply! We really like Paradisus La Esmeralda, but it seems to be much more expansive compared to Barcelo Palace. I will try to see if I could find some deals for this place. As for Grand Palladium, the latest reviews here on tripadvisor are not consistent. There are a lot of negative comments about this place. We kind of want to stay on the same quality level as Barcelo Palace and it seems like the Palladium is considered slightly lower.

What about Riu Palace? How does it rated?

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternatives for Barcelo Maya

The Iberostar Maya/Lindo is the same quality as Barcelo Palace but as you say the water is not calm at the IB*s like at the Barcelo. And no snorkeling either. Food was a bit better at the BP. Service, friendliness are MUCH, MUCH better at IB*.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternatives for Barcelo Maya

We've been to both Barcelo & Palladium.........

While we love both, I have to give the advantage to the Palladium because of the unlimited ala cartes with no reservations. We also love the Catalonia Royal Tulum, but it's a small, laid back resort without much nightlife. When deciding where to go, we choose CRT for just a relaxing time on the amazing beach & the Palladium when we want alittle more excitement during the evenings, as well as a very nice beach!

Deb

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternatives for Barcelo Maya

Just to clarify, the CAT Royal Tulum is +18 year old adult-only, so you would not be able to bring kids there.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternatives for Barcelo Maya

Sorry I didn't mention the adult only at the CRT............

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternatives for Barcelo Maya

I would check out one of the Riu Palaces in Playacar,(Mexico or Riviera Maya). They are located on a beautiful beach. We have always had good service at Rius. Actually the best front desk service we have had at any place we have stayed in Mexico was the Riu Cancun, very helpful and friendly. I feel the Rius edge out the Iberostar in regards to the food. I have no idea about their kids programs though.

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternatives for Barcelo Maya

This upcoming trip was between Fiesta Americana Condesa Cancun (FACC) and Riu Palace Riviera Maya. We chose for 2 reasons: cheaper, and shorter stay (4 nights) decided to stay in Cancun. Some day I am going to go to one of the Rius Palaces in Playacar.

usa
Level Contributor
346 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternatives for Barcelo Maya

RIU Palace Riviera Maya