We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Palace or Tropical?

Chicago
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Palace or Tropical?

Just wondering if its worth the extra $$ to stay at the Palace. If you stay at the Tropical you can not use the Palace restaurants. What restaurants are at the Palace? Could you go into there bars?

Thank you

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Palace or Tropical?

I personally don't think it's worth the money. Tropical is "good enough" that I wouldn't need the upgrade. Are you picky? Palace is a lot larger and fancier, you can tell it's up scale. Tropical is very nice, but not as fancy. Everything else is the same. You still have your pools, food is the same, not sure about alcohol. Beach is actually better in front of Tropical, so if you stay at Palace you'd have to walk a little to the other sections to get a nice beach (nicest one is by the cheapest section Beach/Caribe). The only thing we LOVED about Palace is their kid's water park.

If you're staying at Tropical you can't go into Palace bars. You can go to the restaurants though (ala cart ones) with an extra charge. We paid $20/pp for a French restaurant when we stayed at Beach section (we were celebrating a special b-day and that's the only reason we went there) and it was very very nice - very upscale. If you have no need to go to fancy restaurants, then Tropical will be just fine. They do have many other ala carts and you can use Beach/Caribe restaurants as well - so there's enough :)

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Palace or Tropical?

if you are staying at the Palace you have free rein of all the Barcelo resorts. If you are at the Topical/Colonial, you are not suppose to have access to any of the pools or bars at the Palace. You can pay to upgrade per meal or ala carte if you want to dine there. it all depends on what you want, it may be cheaper to purchase club premium at the Tropical/Colonial if your goal is for top shelf liquor.

check out http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/site/ for all your questions on the Barcelo.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Palace or Tropical?

Unless you stay at the Palace you can't use ANY of their facilities - not the bars, not the pools and not the restaurants (unless you pay a person person, per meal upcharge and even that's subject to availability). I'm not sure how many restaurants are exclusive to Palace guests - I'm guessing at least two and the buffet. Some of the other restaurants listed on the Palace website (barcelo.com/BarceloHotels/en_GB/hotels/Mexic…) are located in other (non Palace) parts of the resort and are thus open to other guests. I was a guest at the Colonial last year and definitely ate at the steak restaurant and the Mexican and Spanish without paying any upcharge at all.

If you stay at the Tropical, you have free access to everywhere EXCEPT the Palace - i.e. all the pools, bars, buffets and restaurants at the Tropical, Colonial, Beach and Caribe.

Everyone has totally free access to the beach, no matter which resort you're staying at.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Palace or Tropical?

We stayed at the Palace 4 years ago. I'm glad we went with that over the trop/colonial. It is newer and prettier IMO. They served top shelf liquor. They used the appropriate plasticware for drinks...silly I know, but I like my beer in pilsner shape, wine in a wine glass, etc. Just looks prettier than the generic plastic dixie cup at the tropical.

We ate dinner at the tropical buffet and I was not crazy about the food. The palace was much nicer. I asked for Bailey's after dinner and was told they didin't have it.

The kids club was air conditioned at the palace and my kids like a break from the heat.

The theatre was also air conditioned.

I was glad we went with the palace.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,609 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Palace or Tropical?

Just another note- if you are going during a very busy time during high season, one major difference we noted when staying at the Palace was that the staff numbers seemed fewer and the service not quite as good or as fast at the Tropical/Colonial and the Beach/Caribe sections.

The three a la cartes at the Palace are top notch too, especially the Brasserie...but you can pay a little extra to go to those, if you choose to, if you are staying at one of the other sections. (If they have room.)

Michigan
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo Palace or Tropical?

Babbs, I guess the bottomline for us has been we've found the price difference between the Palace vs. Tropical/Colonial for a seven night stay to be about $200. That's what we found the past two years and what we found again this year when we book our trip for Feb 2013.

For us, that price difference is a no brainer given the nice Jr. Suite rooms, unlimited ale cartes, top shelf booze and the place we like to spend a lot of time at....the Adult pool (no other adult only pools on the property).

But even though we choose the Palace, we get around quite a bit. The trip is not complete until we take in a show at the T/C theater (like the open air nature of it) and have lunch/drinks at Captain Morgan. We also make it a point to check out the lobby bars in all the sections at night. I think night life is actually more fun around the T/C or B/C sections than it is at the Palace, but still prefer to "hang my hat" at the Palace.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo Palace or Tropical?

The restaurants at the Palace are def. better - but very hard to book if you are there in a high season, they might be all booked for your time of stay when you get there. There is only 1 bar there and it is really nothing special. Their lunch buffet is very nice with the very good food quality - but it is enclosed and you can not go there in your swimsuit as the other ones on the beach - like the above mentioned Captain Morgan - right on the beach with the direct open sea view - nice! The night life is very, very low key at the Palace, I think it is the quietest part of the Barcelo complex. Colonial/Tropical pool is also the liveliest of all Barcelo pools.

So it really depends on the price difference and your preferences.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo Palace or Tropical?

We stayed at the Palace and I would stay in the Colonial/Tropical sections if I couldn't afford the Palace, but I would be sad :). The food prep was on par but you definitely had better quality food at the Palace. Alcohol better quality as well, and it was also staffed properly. We never waited for anything. They also pack you in pretty tight at the Colonital/Tropical. The buffets were a maze to navitate through the tables and even the pools seemed to have more beds/people at them. We were there in peak season too, so the resort wasn't half empty either.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelo Palace or Tropical?

For me, it's worth the price difference to stay at the Palace, I try not to even look at the prices for the other sections. I have stayed at the Beach/Caribe section many years ago when it only had Beach/Gardens and it was fantastic!! But I think once you stay at the Palace, it's hard to go back....just MO.....

As already suggested, it really depends what your priorities are....I like the spacious JR Suites at the Palace, I like paying for one resort and being able to eat, play and drink at all 5.....I like that my daughter can play at both of the waterparks and the splashpad at Beach/Caribe and go to any of the 3 kids clubs .....I love the quiet adults only pool at the Palace.....I find the buffet selection at the Palace to be better and a larger selection. I also love the Carey Bar at the Palace - it's the only bar at Barcelo that overlooks the ocean where you can watch the sunset every night if you wish!! :-) There is def. less party atmosphere at the Palace - seems to be more family oriented and lower key if that's what your looking for....

Good luck!! The whole place is truely beautiful:-)

Chicago
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelo Palace or Tropical?

Thank you all for the information. I am booking today & yes we decide to to stay at the Palace. We are going Feb 5-12.

I just love this board you really get alot of info.

Thanks again,