We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much is fair when it comes to tipping?

Regina
Level Contributor
188 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
How much is fair when it comes to tipping?

Staying at ASP but still like to tip now and then when we do get great service, and I am wondering how much is fair? I dont want to be cheap or appear as if I insulted anyone. For example the guy who takes my luggage to the room? The great waiter/waitress at dinner? The shuttle bus driver? The amazing tour operator?

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much is fair when it comes to tipping?

This is a much-discussed topic here at the forums!

At the top of this center column is a green-shaded "search" box. Simply enter a word or phrase like 'how much to tip' and it will return lots of prior discussion about extending gratuities.

Regina
Level Contributor
188 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much is fair when it comes to tipping?

My apologies, I had read about ten pages deep and didnt see it so I had posted it. I will search like you suggested.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much is fair when it comes to tipping?

I disagree with the concept of a percentage of my bill to tip

. I tip according to the service I get. Some people get a nice big tip! Some get exactly what they deserve. Too many people expect to get tipped without earning it.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much is fair when it comes to tipping?

We tip extra - and always tip according to service receieved. We have stayed at several Palace resorts and while tips are "included", we still tip extra to those who give extra service. Usually somewhere between $1-$5US or $10-$50 pesos, depending on service. Bartenders and those pool guys who run back and forth and keep me topped up all the time, a couple bucks a day. Same for meal service - if they go out of their way, a couple bucks. Housekeeping, same thing, maybe $5 if we ask for extra things - and then definitely if they remember every day!

Tipping is highly personal and a very hot topic. I never tip based on percentages - and in my own country, don't tip at all, it is not the custom or culture here. Other countries, it's always based on services rendered and custom - so I read up beforehand. Been to MX a million times and a buck or 2 up to 5 or 10 seems to be good, depending on the services rendered. That said, there are also plenty of times that we have not tipped someone - when service is adequate or when the person has really only done the minimum.

We have always had excellent service at Palace, whether with extra tips or without. Personally, we like to tip in pesos if we can, it is the local currency and is easiest. Totally up to you guys how much and what currency.

Enjoy your visit!!!

5. Re: How much is fair when it comes to tipping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 21:30
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much is fair when it comes to tipping?

Tip the same percentage or equivalent lump sum that you would tip folks in your own country for the same services.

Edited: 12 October 2012, 05:15
Regina
Level Contributor
188 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much is fair when it comes to tipping?

Thanks again reedprincess... I have searched quite a bit on TA about this question and you are not kidding its a hot topic. I will share with my traveling companions and they can each decide what they want to do.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much is fair when it comes to tipping?

@Shelley - no problem, glad to help.

@gatopaja - LOL! By that philosphy, we would not tip at all, as tipping is not at all part of our culture here at home. There is a voluntary service charge added to bills at some restaurants and bars which you dn't have to pay (and lots of people don't), but "tipping" - no way, not done around here. So - that would mean no tipping in MX or US or wherever we visit using your logic. Somehow, I don't think that will work. We tip in countries where tipping is normal and don't in the countries where it is not normal (there are lots).

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,178 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much is fair when it comes to tipping?

Average tip here at home is around 15%.

Average tip in Mexico is about 10%.

Although we usually do tip about 15% to servers.

Bellboy- about 10 pesos per bag

Maid- we usually tip 30-50 per day, depending

If there is a mini fridge, a separate guy stocks that - about 20 pesos/day

Tour guide or dive/snorkel guide- we usually tip him from 50-200 pesos, depending on the type and length of the tour

Buffet- we leave about 20 pesos for the person who might refill your drinks, and at an a la carte, maybe 100 pesos.

But yes, tipping is highly personal, there is no right or wrong, really, unless you stiff everyone, of course, lol.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much is fair when it comes to tipping?

I alwasy tip my maid about 50 pesos on the first day and at least 20 pesos every day after. Don't forget to tip the minibar guy. You may never see him, but I always leave a 50 peso tip the first day in the minibar with a list of what we like and take out what we don't so he will stock it with water, beer and club soda. We don't want the pop. The minibar guy is often forgotten.