We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrade at Barcelo Maya Caribe

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Upgrade at Barcelo Maya Caribe

Is it worth paying the cost to upgrade and if so is it cheaper to do there or before you go

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrade at Barcelo Maya Caribe

I thought it was worth it, but we just tipped the check in guy 1000 pesos and he upgraded my family. You then can use all the restaurants at the Barcelo Tropical and Colonial. You get access to the premium lounges that have better liquor and appies throughout the day and they have computers with internet in there. Just having the option for dining in my opinion was worth it, but it is quite expensive to do here, which is why I wait to uprade there and tip the check in guy.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
927 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrade at Barcelo Maya Caribe

maried11 - you sure got a great deal assuming that the 1000 pesos was to upgrade for the entire week. Normally, if you upgrade to club premium at the resort (amenities only without the upgraded room), you will pay $40 per day. For $80 (or 1000 pesos), I would upgrade in a heartbeat. For $40 a day, probably not. If you upgrade before you leave, the cost will usually be substantially more but will include a club premium room.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrade at Barcelo Maya Caribe

For sure, we know we did. It was actually for 10 days. I am a repeat client and told them so and have been to other Barcelos as well. I had also sent a request prior to leaving and had recieved an email back from one of their sales people seeing what they could do. I wouldn't pay the full price though. And to be quite frank, I think he just gave us the gold bracelets and kept it as the tip, which is why I was able to do that and I do tip very nicely upon checkin everywhere to get these upgrades. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but agani, it's not upgrading as per their room rates, it's tipping the front desk to "see what he can do".lol

Edited: 13 October 2012, 23:09
4. Re: Upgrade at Barcelo Maya Caribe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 11:18