We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curious!

Bolton
Level Contributor
586 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Curious!

Hi,

I have just read the latest EDSS review, and it says that if you are getting married in Mexico that you have to have a blood test whilst there, is this true and does anyone know the reason why ?

Not that we are getting married ( already done that deed ) haha, been back from edss for 4 wks, what a beautiful resort

Regards

Browny123

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
376 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Curious!

I got married 8 years ago in Puerto Plata Dominican Republic but not before looking into getting married in Mexico. You where required to get blood work done in Mexico then and not in the DR. That was one of the deciding factors(among others) that we chose to go to DR. We did not want to have our blood taken by someone whose qualifications where a mystery to us and the cleanliness of their equipment being a mystery as well. We where told by our Travel Agent at the time that the reason for the required blood work was to prove that you where not related. I honestly have no idea for the validity of this but I suppose it is possible.

I also wonder what the official reason is.

Happy Travels.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,430 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Curious!

thus many have a civil marraige at home after the resort wedding

Bonnyville, Canada
Level Contributor
644 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Curious!

yep its true, not so many years ago you had to have them in Canada and the US, maybe still do in some states.

UK
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Curious!

Hi there, we were married at EDSS 5 years ago. The blood was taken by a Nurse in a sterile environment, needles etc were in packaging, opened in front of us etc - we were not worried for one moment! Now for the official reason, to check for HIV and STD's and to check Blood Type. Had the test come back positive for the female the husband to be would have been given the choice if the marriage should go ahead, but not vice versa!! We also never received the results of the tests!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Curious!

"We did not want to have our blood taken by someone whose qualifications where a mystery to us and the cleanliness of their equipment being a mystery as well."

this statement is of course seriously paranoid.

6. Re: Curious!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2013, 09:17