We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from the airport? Safe?? cost??

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KshTraveler
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from the airport? Safe?? cost??

I'm thinking about not booking through a vacation company, and rather going thru expedia or something and arranging the transfers myself when I get there (taking a taxi from and to the airport) we've been going to mexico for 7 years now and I feel comfortable doing so, but how much should I expect for 4 adults from the airport to the Grand Palladium? (with luggage of course)..

also it's safe right?

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
412 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from the airport? Safe?? cost??

I would reserve ahead of time. I reserved and saved $65.00 over my travel company price. You can go online to price then reserve, here is where I found the best prices.: http://www.usa-transfers.com/

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from the airport? Safe?? cost??

A taxi would be pretty expensive from Cancun all the way to Grand Palladium. Did you check out different transfer companys or maybe a rental car for your trip?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from the airport? Safe?? cost??

Ditto the recommendation to use a private transfer in preference to a taxi - at least for the airport-to-resort part. It's possible that a taxi BACK to the airport may be a few bucks cheaper than a private transfer but I just can't be bothered and use a private transfer round trip. (The reason a taxi may be cheaper going back to the airport has to do with an airport-related tariff that applies to passengers being picked up but not to those being dropped off).

If you want to cut costs a bit, Best Day offer a shared transfer that will cost you US$70 per person, round trip. I used Best Day recently and whilst they were OK (hey, I got to my resort and back to the airport again), I wasn't especially impressed with their service.

USA Transfers (aka Entertainment Plus) will cost you $130 round trip for 1-3 people (price is per vehicle, not per person) or $80 one way.

A rental car would work too but that would only make financial sense if you were going to use the car a lot during your vacation - it makes no sense to rent a car and have it sit in the parking lot most of the time. There are also various pitfalls that are associated with renting cars (e.g. rental car scams, gas station rip offs and corrupt cops). There's also the cost of insurance - it's recommended that you take ALL the insurance you can and not rely on any CDW coverage you may have with your credit card. The result is the "reasonable" cost of the rental gets inflated significantly and makes the overall cost a bit spendy (again, unless you're really gonna use that car a lot).

Edited: 10 November 2012, 15:37
Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from the airport? Safe?? cost??

One way taxi fares from the airport to the Grand Palladium are presently $775Pesos each way for the entire cab up to 4 passengers. They are safe and and no advance reservation or deposit is required. And for your return trip, just ask the bellman to call one.

Here is a link to the Palladium complex's ground transfer page. Lots of important information and offers there:

palladiumaddict.net/mexico-mayan-riviera/…

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,885 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from the airport? Safe?? cost??

A standard taxi with 4 adults and lugguage would be very cramped

I recommend you research USA or AGI Transfers - they will provide a large van that is very comfortable and can stop on the way and you can buy refreshments

Here is a thread of transfers from the Akumal forum

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k337…

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,195 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from the airport? Safe?? cost??

Agree with Vancouver. Four adults in a local taxi can be uncomfortable even without luggage.

KshTraveler
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from the airport? Safe?? cost??

thanks so much! I will do as you suggest and look into booking a transfer. :-)

Now that I'm booking parts by myself and it's turning out cheaper than going thru Apple Vacations, I'm wondering why I ever went with them.

way north
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from the airport? Safe?? cost??

We always use USA transfers. The last 2 times have been for stays at multiple locations and they handled everything perfectly, and we felt the price was fair.

we love having the private service. No stops to worry about, just jump in and go.

Glendon, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from the airport? Safe?? cost??

I booked transfers with Olympus Tours and I think their prices were awesome and so far the service is good.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,386 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi from the airport? Safe?? cost??

I have used agi tours.com for ten years. Excellent.