We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Chicken Itza and Valladolid

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Chicken Itza and Valladolid

Good Morning all,

Were staying in the Catalonia Riviera Maya in two weeks time

Were hoping to arrange a trip to Chicken Itza and Valladolid. Can anyone recommend a local tour company

Thanks in advance

Enjoying reading all the info on the forum

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,319 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Chicken Itza and Valladolid

I cant recommend a tour company but if you can add the ruins site of Ek Balam, do it. Its my favorite ruins site and without the mobs of Chichen.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Chicken Itza and Valladolid

rent a car and drive

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,319 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Chicken Itza and Valladolid

Actually, Katzgar makes the best suggestion. Thats the reason I dont know tour companies. I never use them.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Chicken Itza and Valladolid

When you get to the resort they have a tour desk where you can book a trip.

We have never done it this way, we have always booked a private tour with USA Transfers and customized our tour. There are other tour companies that are good also, I-Tours and Eco Tours are two that come to mind.

Chichen can get VERY crowded with the tour buses and the vendors are a pain in the a$$. Get there as early as you can.

V-Town is a great place. I would recomend Mason de Marque for lunch. It is a little expensive but the food and atmosphere can't be beat.

Ek Balam is a great place to go to also. It seems like not to many people go there. You can still climb all the structures and I would get a guide.

Good luck on your adventure.

PolloMan

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,319 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Chicken Itza and Valladolid

Good information from Pollo. I lived in Valladolid for some time and its and interesting town. Can´t say I really recommend Meson del Marques. It can be good or not so good , depending upon how many tour groups they have. Not bad but you can do much better in Valladolid.

Agree about the vendors at Chichen being a pain. Unless you get there early before they set up, they can be in your face all day.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,059 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Chicken Itza and Valladolid

Never been to El Meson when they had tour groups, but then I travel in May so it may be more crowded in high season. Love their papadzules.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Chicken Itza and Valladolid

55vineyard, we had the same experience, there were only three other couples when we were there.

Robert, where else would you recommend to go and eat in V-Town? We are planning to go back in May and would like to have other options.

PolloMan

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,736 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Chicken Itza and Valladolid

Taberna de los Frailes is worth the trip to Valladolid alone - especially if you are into food - Meson del Marques is rather lacking. http://tabernadelosfrailes.com/ Opens at 1pm.

But if you are on a "tour" you won't necessarily get a choice of where to eat. There is also a buffet place that many tour buses stop at but it lacks options. It's gorgeous inside, but geared totally for tourists. I can't remember the name, but it has a shrine visable from the street made from pottery.

Across the street from Taberna de los Frailes is this place : tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g499453-d1129… It's wonderful.

Chichen Itza is an amazing site. It's a shame they allow so many vendors inside the site as it completely ruins the ambiance. Be sure to see the whole site - it's massive and you should allow 4 hours.

Ek Balam is another worthy site and gives a nice contrast to Chichen.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Chicken Itza and Valladolid

Thanks for the suggestions. Will have a look at the suggestions

Would like to visit Ek Balam too but think we may wonder around Valladolid for a full day.

Think the answer is to go twice or stay overnight!

A little more research is needed!

Thanks all

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Chicken Itza and Valladolid

If you are staying at the CAT then use the Tour desk in reception if you want a general tour, we did this year for the Chichen Itza. It was $89 pp or $109 pp including breakfast & drinks. The tour was ok and takes in Chichen and then Valladolid on the way back as well as a few other sites on the way. Downside is it being a long day and having to take in things that you may not be interested in as its a set tour, 11 hour round trip so can be quite tiring.

If you want a personalised tour then there are a number of guides who can do this, Id recommend Your Private Tour or Edventures myself. Will obviously cost a little more but I think its worth the extra to get a better experience sometimes with things like this