We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Tropical/Colonial sold out..Caribe questions.

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
863 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Tropical/Colonial sold out..Caribe questions.

Barcelo Tropical is sold out now for our Spring break. I'm wondering how close the Caribe is to the kids waterpark and whether it's that different as far as rooms, liquor, food? I know you can share pools (restaurants too?). We are bringing our two boys with us this year - age 7 &10.

Thanks!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Tropical/Colonial sold out..Caribe questions.

You can definitely share all the pools and the beach bars/restaurants of the Beach, Caribe, Tropical and Colonial no matter which one you're staying at.

However, you're limited to the Beach/Caribe buffets, lobby barsand theatre if that's the section you're staying in. Those buffets are not air conditioned - likely not a big deal during Spring Break but a bit more of a consideration in the summer time.

As for a la cartes, again, you're limited to the Beach/Caribe ones BUT I believe you can buy an upgraded dinner or two for a fee, subject to availability. I think you might also be able to buy an upgraded buffet as well. Check out http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/site/ for more info on pricing.

If you stay at the Barcelo Palace, you have the run of the entire five-resort complex. Palace pools, bars and restaurants are off limits to everyone other than Palace guests (although again, some a la carte upgrading is available for a price).

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Tropical/Colonial sold out..Caribe questions.

Guests at the entry-level Beach/Caribe sections can use the kids waterpark (and pool area snack & beverage bars) at the Colonial/Tropical complex, which is about a 10 minute walk away.

Definately read all about the Beach/Caribe and understand exactly what amenities/priviledges you receive at this complex, and what requires an upgrade fee to use! And remember - their main buffets, lobby, & theater are not air conditioned, which can be an issue for some, especially with the heat & humidity.

Here is an informative link:

www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com

Choose carefully!

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
863 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Tropical/Colonial sold out..Caribe questions.

Thank you!! OK -- I will definitely read up more. Grrr -- why is the other one sold out for the first week of April already ? Dang it! Palace is out of our price range.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Tropical/Colonial sold out..Caribe questions.

As a follow-up to the fees for using the air conditioned buffets & a la cartes at the Colonial/Tropical:

buffets: $5.00US per person per meal

a la cartes: $15.00US per person per dinner, subject to availability

(Palace a la cartes: $20.00US per person per dinner, subject to availability, no access to their buffets or other amenities/facilities except their oceanfront)

edit: By-the-way, the first week of April is Easter Break. That's the reason.

Edited: 28 November 2012, 17:11
Castro Valley...
Level Contributor
83 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Tropical/Colonial sold out..Caribe questions.

HI Hondo2:

I am not surprised the Barcelo is sold out for the first week in April. When we booked for the same time period 3 months ago the pickings were already very limited-- only CP rooms at Colonial/Tropical were available, the more expensive Palace rooms, and CP Caribe/Beach rooms. We took a CP Tropical room. I am nervous about going during such a busy time, but of course, we are going during a time school is out. Best of luck with your choice!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo Tropical/Colonial sold out..Caribe questions.

The rooms are smaller at the Caribe, but the Caribe is right next to the colonial, so maybe only a 5 min. walk to the waterpark. You can upgrade to premium which would give you access to everywhere (except the Palace). Then you dont' need to worry about upgrading this one buffet or one ala carte. I can't remember what the price is, but it would also give you access to the premium lounges with top shelf liquor, appies all day, computer access for free, preferred reservatinos at a la carte and I think room service, but again, can't exactly remember about that. We did get it often aI'm sure we didn't pay for it.

The rooms are bigger at the Tropical, Colonial because they are junior suites. The beach is the best in front of the Caribe/Beach.

Good luck:)

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo Tropical/Colonial sold out..Caribe questions.

The cost to upgrade to Club Premium during peak of season Easter week at the Beach/Caribe is prohibitively expensive to the point where for literally a few dollars more you can simply stay as a standard level guest at the deluxe Palace, where you will have unlimited access to the entire Barcelo complex including all bars (with premium liquor everywhere - not just restricted to the member lounge in your lobby), all buffets, and all a la cartes with most of those perks already included for Palace guests anyway!

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
863 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo Tropical/Colonial sold out..Caribe questions.

Wow - hard to believe it was close to being sold out even 3 months ago - I do wish I had started researching a bit earlier --I'm in analysis paralysis with checking out so many resorts this year :-) With Easter being the same week as our spring break, I think it's just going to be crazy busy everywhere in Cancun the first week of April - yikes!!!. We are actually starting to peak at prices in Punta Cana now. The Barcelo Bavaro Palace in Punta Cana is just gorgeous with a new pirate ship water park along with the barcy water slides. But pricey (of course) :-) Everything I pick is either out of my budget, or sold out.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelo Tropical/Colonial sold out..Caribe questions.

I hesitate to recommend this because I know how teachers feel about parents pulling their kids out of school but if you could possibly go the week AFTER Easter, prices will be more reasonable and you'll have more options. If you could go two or three weeks after Easter, prices will have plummeted (comparatively speaking) and you should have a wealth of resort choices.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelo Tropical/Colonial sold out..Caribe questions.

I second Llisa's recommendation. I never go at easter or xmas anymore and save a fortune and am not having to be somewhere that is 100% capacity.