We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on traveling with a baby

Northport, New York
4 posts
Save Topic
Tips on traveling with a baby

Hi,

My wife and I are bringing our 11 1/2 month old down to Dreams Puerto Aventuras for a family wedding. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for us? We are bringing liquid formula and some baby food. Our baby isn't too keen on baby food anymore since she's been eating table food. Should we feel comfortable feeding her food down there? Chicken, vegetables, fish, fruit? What about sanitizing bottles? Is it ok to wash them with tap water? We are a little nervous.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
274 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips on traveling with a baby

- In the airplane when taking off or landing make sure you give your child drink. Kids cannot "pop" their airs as adults so swallowing reduces their air preassure.

- Assume that you kid will get sick at the hotel. At that age kid has very little immunity build up, so they can get any virus very quick. My child was sick first 3-4 times we went to AI resorts. So have thermomether,medical insurance and basic baby pain killers, etc. It is not a very big deal if you are prepared. You might get lucky and your baby could be OK, but be ready just in case.

- I would have no problem giving my baby "safe" food, like pizza, fries, chicken if it is well done, fruit, iceream, etc. I would not give kids fish. In my opinion fish could be very dangerous - my family member had very bad fish poisoning while on vacation in Dominican Republic.

- You cannot use tap water in Mexico even to clean your teeth. So you'll have to sanitize bottles or at least re-wash them with good watter.

I am sure other people will give you more tips.

waterloo ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips on traveling with a baby

ours was 14 months so a little older but we had no issues with any food. My wife and I did take a basic medical supply bag of motrin, after bite, tylenol etc. We laos had a doctor prescription for diahhea stuff whihc we never used.

The tap water is safe at most resorts as they hve their own sanitation system but bottled water is readily available everywhere.

We used the hot tap water from the coffee machines to wash out the sippy cups and took a small bottle of dish soap with us.

You wll be fine so enjoy.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips on traveling with a baby

I wouldn't bother bringing formula, just buy it and wipes and diapers there. No need to haul for more than a day or two. There are many farmacias in Tulum pueblo (about 5 mins. from your hotel) to buy all that stuff. We stayed there with our 5 month old and we use the tap water to wash all the bottles, etc. (We now have 3 kids and traveled when all are infants). I would eat the food, no worries at all. Just make sure you bring Tylenol or Advil (whatever you use so you don't have to read the bottles in Spanish and buy children's instead of infants, etc.). Don't worry too much about your regular schedule, they will nap lots when walking around. Hat, sunscreen and we found we kept their hat wet and that really kept them cool.

You absolutely can use the tap water at the hotel with no problems. Not one of my kids has ever gotten sick in 12 plus times with them and I was fine pregnant with all 3. Especially a high end place like the Dreams.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips on traveling with a baby

Everyone above wrote excellent suggestions but I have one thing to add. Bring some sip lock bags in case you want to take away a few little snacks for the baby during the day, for instance, dried cereal like Cheerios. Going to an all-inclusive at this stage is great because you can have them try out all sorts of fruits and foods at the buffet and learn more about what they like and what they do not like :)

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips on traveling with a baby

Is it possible to leave the little one with one set of grandparents? Solves travel issue.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips on traveling with a baby

It's far-easier and less expensive to stop at the Walmart in Playa del Carmen on your way south from the airport. If you are taking a private ground transfer, simply ask the driver to stop for you.

There are a few shops within the Puerto Aventuras Marina section where your resort is located that will have some basic baby supplies, but at a premium.

FYI - Tulum Pueblo is ALOT further than 5 minutes south from your resort!

And stick to bottled water for the baby!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips on traveling with a baby

Oops sorry, was thinking the Dreams Tulum. My mistake. Yes, then I would stop at Walmart or Soriana along the way.

I wouldn't dream of leaving mine at home, we enjoy our family holidays:)

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
302 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips on traveling with a baby

You do not need to make a special stop in Playa del Carmen to go to Wal-Mart or Soriana.

There's a Chedraui right outside Puerto Aventuras that will have everything you need, including a new toy or two for the return trip. They also have an in-store farmacia.

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips on traveling with a baby

Oh no!! Babies on a plane...

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips on traveling with a baby

As someone who birthed a baby in Brazil.(tropical climate too).......and lived there till she was 12yrs.....best advice I ever received.....when YOU are thirsty, your baby is thirsty. Give the baby water to drink, whichever way she'll drink it, either bottled or boiled. I've stayed in the Riviera Maya umpteen times and can't count the number of times I've seen red, screaming babies...who need water! Taken my young grandsons twice and no problems. Enjoy, Mags

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras