We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions about the barcelo palace deluxe?

New York
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
questions about the barcelo palace deluxe?

I am currently looking for a resort to go on a family vacation with our 2 boys (9 and 11). My husband and I have been to Excellence Playa Mujeres many times and we are looking for a resort on that level but allows kids and kid activites but we want to stay away from the hotel zone.

I have some questions about Barcelo palace deluxe since their website didn't have my answers

1. Does this resort use wristbands?

2. I see you need reservations for resturants...with young kids..how hard is it to get an early seating? Like 7 pm? Or do I need to make the reservations for the whole trip at one time to get that early time?

3. the the kids club ok for more tween age (my 11yo is in that akward age). do they have any special events for kids?

4. Beach service...is their drink and food service?

5. Room service included? I didnt' see anything on their website about room service

6. security...with being able to wander between all of the resorts..how is security?

7. alchohol..is it just well liquors or can I get Jack Daniels and Grey goose or kettle one?

if I am totally off and this place is cannot be compared to our love of EPM...please suggest a resort that can compare.

Thanks

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions about the barcelo palace deluxe?

Yes you have to wear wristbands

Yes you have to make reservations. Not sure if you can do it before you arrive, but I would make them for all of the nights you want the minute you check in

I think the kids club is for younger kids but I am not for sure

No beach wait service

The entire Barcelo maya complex is safe and secure so you can walk throughout the entire complex of resorts safely.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions about the barcelo palace deluxe?

Check out the unofficial barcelo maya message board/website.

There is a wealth of info on there about this resort.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions about the barcelo palace deluxe?

Yes, the resort uses wristbands for guests of all ages!

Restaurant reservations are subject to availability but relatively easy to obtain early - like as soon as the venue begins serving. However, 7PM is a favorite dining time, so try to book all your a la cartes at the restaurant desk in the lobby area as soon as you complete check-in! If you have Club Premium, there is a seperate restaurant reservation area in the C.P. lounge.

The Barcy Kids Club as well as the water park is for kids to age 12. There is a daily program split into age appropriate activities.

No beach wait service. It is sporadic around the pool area. And unless you are buying snacks at the outdoor kiosk (which is not part of your all-inclusive plan), you will not be able to take food out of the buffet area at all to bring to your seat.

Rooms service is available at a per plate item additional fee (it is included for Club Premium). Very limited menu. Good luck getting anyone to answer that phone after 10PM or before 7AM.

There is security throughout the complex and the Barcelo is the only resort in the region, so no worries about people just coming into the resort. Security will also make sure that only registered guests are permitted to use certain sections within the complex. Wrist band color identifies your assigned resort and your ability to enter/use certain facilities/amenities. As a Palace guest, you have unlimited and unrestricted access to everywhere, but not vice-versa.

Palace guests receive premium liquor brands on site. Just ask for what you want. There are even higher-end brands by the a la carte dining venue bar. If you are visiting one of the other resorts in the complex, just ask for the brand you prefer. They will have you sign a voucher for the drink, but it for inventory purposes only and you will not be charged.

The Barcelo Palace is a very nice deluxe family-friendly complex, but it will in no way compare to the level of quality or service you experienced at Excellence Playa Mujeres. If that is what you seek, then check-out the new Paradisus La Esmeralda resort in Playa del Carmen, which is 20 minutes north of the Barcelo (and 20 minutes closer to the airport).

Hope this helps!

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: questions about the barcelo palace deluxe?

Regarding room service, we didn't have a problem getting our calls answered, but the food was sub-par at best. No access to snack bars after the buffets close and no room service to speak of is my peeve for this resort. I also agree with TravelPro that the Palace will not compare with EPM.

New York
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: questions about the barcelo palace deluxe?

Thank you so much for your quick responses. Based on Travelpro and EvaJazz's responses. It does not look like Barcelo will meet our needs.

Thank you! time to keep looking...

Travelpro..thanks for the suggestion of paradisus...that looks wonderful! will have to show it to the husband...

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: questions about the barcelo palace deluxe?

Schatzegsd:

Another resort to show your husband is the Paradisus Palma Real's Family Reserve Section in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic...

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: questions about the barcelo palace deluxe?

You can also check out Grand Velas, if it's available.

toronto
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: questions about the barcelo palace deluxe?

Don't listen to them...the Barcelo is worth its weight in gold.......dining, pool, beach, swim with turtles, baby turtles, service over moon...clean....

Go....you will not regret...

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: questions about the barcelo palace deluxe?

You're kidding right? Service over the moon? Service is not one thing the Barcelo Palace is known for.

If the poster is looking for something family friendly that will live up to EPM expectations, the BP is not it.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,632 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: questions about the barcelo palace deluxe?

We had excellent service at the Barcelo Palace.....loved our stay there. Was it kid glove pampering simpering service, though? No. But that is not our style, so we loved it.