We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested Suncream Factors

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
193 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested Suncream Factors

We've booked EDSS for 2 weeks in June for our 20th Anniversary and haven't been on a holiday outside of Europe since our wedding/honeymoon. Therefore, not sure what factors to buy. We're both brunette, I have green eyes and freckles so am prone to burnt shoulders if not careful, whereas my hubby s brown eyes, no freckles and tans easily without burning.

Also considering P20 for possible trip purposes.

All feedback greatly received.

Many thanks - Amanda :o)

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested Suncream Factors

Some say the higher the better. Others say anything over spf30 is the same. Reefsafe is a good idea if you can find it. Don't forget to put some on the tops of your feet . Wear a had too , as it is hard to sunscreen your scalp. Learned both those lessons the hard way a couple of weeks ago.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested Suncream Factors

I take a mix of factors 60 and 30 - stick with the 60 for face all the time, 30 after a few days for my body. Anything less than 30 I burn (brunette, hazel eyes).

waterloo ontario
Level Contributor
575 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested Suncream Factors

anything more than 30 is the same as you will probably be sweating and swimming which will wash it off anyway. It is more imprtant to apply often rather than use the higher SPF lotions..

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested Suncream Factors

I like Nutrogena helioplex. I think I use 70.

Brown hair with brown eyes. I really dont burn BUT I have had a June vacation ruined because my lips got fried!!! Now, I put the helioplex on my face and lips and let it soak in.

Like previous poster said..... Feet and scalp too.

If those 2 things get burnt, it is painful.

I can sit in the sun all day in Michigan and never get a sunburn. 3 hours in Cancun on a sunny June day, I will have a burn if not protected.

Protect yourself and have fun.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested Suncream Factors

Here's a link to a recent January forum topic post regarding this very issue that you may find helpful:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g153510-i166-k6062…

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
539 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested Suncream Factors

Ambre Solaire - factor 30 works for us.

OH uses that for whole fortnight - I usually go to factor 20 after a few days. (He burns more easily than me...)

Keep an eye on Boots and Superdrug as Ambre Solaire is usually on offer (2 for 1 or similar) at the beginning of summer season!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,463 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested Suncream Factors

I like an spf50 sunscreen.....the more "waterproof" the better....if you wear your hair up in a bun or ponytail, don't forget to put sunscreen on your outer ear - lobe and rim...those burn too, and into your hairline...of course wearing a hat makes a difference, but I can never seem to wear one for very long, so the spf 50 makes all the difference for me....have fun on your holiday...

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggested Suncream Factors

Beaniebabe - my Hubbie is pale skinned with freckles and pale red hair and he swears by P20 - he has NEVER burnt on any of our 10 visits and would not use anything else.

He remembers it before the slight change in the way you apply it so I don't know if him applying it like it used to be done helps any? He washes as usual with shower gel in the evening but the following morning he just washes himself down with a separate body puff/sponge so that it has no residue from the shower gel on it and then applies the lotion. He will not put his shorts, etc on until 15-20 minutes has passed and then that's him set for the day, pool, sea, anything!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggested Suncream Factors

Another tip for those who burn easily: apply sunscreen when you arrive, before stepping out of the airport (I have a short flight so I apply it before I fly). Once when we were waiting for our transport I saw a pale man turning very pink quickly. We had all been corralled to a spot on the sidewalk to wait for the van/bus and there was no shade.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggested Suncream Factors

Hi Amanda and an early Happy Anniversary..... Boots have their own brand sunscreen on buy one get one free at the moment - and they do a one a day... think it is called ONCE... I am buying it now to try when we come over in April..,.,. Have not used P20 although we have tried and like Piz Buin once a day - although only used it for Greece in summer months so hot of course - and used SPF 215 and SP|F 10 - I am fair - blue eyes and blonde. and do burn although get a honey colour eventually - hope this gives you a bit of an idea... Can I say here though that although this willbe our first time in Maya - we have done a few years on Barbados - smilar temps and strength during early may and have used mostly SPF 20 - dropping to SPF 15 only on the last two days........