We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westjet Passport Denied

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Westjet Passport Denied

Wondering if anyone knows if a class action law suit is taking place against Westjet for denied passports. I read this article: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/WestJet+loses+fight+over+compensation/8519432/story.html and was hoping that someone has heard about a lawsuit forming? I was denied onto the plane due to having a, "damaged passport." The Westjet duty manager sent us downtown on a Saturday to get a new one and the office wasn't open...we would have had to pay a lot of money to replace it and have a passport agent come in on the weekend. We ended up cancelling our trip and we were charged a cancellation fee by Westjet. Come Monday morning we took my passport to Passport Canada and they said it is fine...there is nothing wrong with the signature of picture and it was scan able. Just like another post on this board the staff at westjet picked at my passport and made the so called damages worse. I currently use the same passport to travel between Canada and the USA ever other weekend to get groceries and gas. We also took my passport to Air Canada and other international airlines and they said there was nothing wrong with my passport...We could have booked another flight but couldn't afford to fly first class return to Mexico.

The flight we were supposed to be on had my fiance's parents on it..His mother's passport was stained blue with water damage and they let her on but not me. My fiance's parents told us that when they got on the flight it was full and there was no standby call....this was all too fishy to me. I think Westjet uses this, "immaculate passport," policy to avoid telling customers they've overbooked flights.

When my fiance's parents arrived in Mexico, they couldn't scan her passport due to water damage. They ended up just keying in the barcode from the passport and this was acceptable.

Avoid Westjet. They are scam artists!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westjet Passport Denied

Sounds like someone that has a hate on for Westjet. I have never had an issue with them, other than I don't like that they want you to pay for your vacation upfront, rather than a deposit, and then balance like 60 days out. Its unfortunate in cases like this we only get one side of the story.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westjet Passport Denied

WestJet does not overbook flights, unlike other carriers. This is part of their policy. They are very picky about passports, this is true, but it is because Mexico had cracked down on damaged passports and the airline has to pay to return the passengers back to the country they came from and a fine. (even if the passport is damaged only slightly on a blank page). This has happened to two of my clients and there is no recourse. The passports have been fine to the US, but not to Mexico. I simply tell my mexico clients their passports need to be in pristine condition.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
968 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westjet Passport Denied

the article doesn't really seem to have anything to do with denial of boarding because of passports. Article as below:

The Canadian Transportation Agency says WestJet must provide compensation to customers who are denied boarding on flights to and from Canada. The agency was responding to a complaint alleging that West-Jet's international tariff has several "unreasonable and conflicting" rules for customers denied boarding. It also ordered the airline to revise its rules for international travel. The CTA said Wednesday it was banning provisions that exempt WestJet from liability for overbooking a flight .

Edited: 14 June 2013, 03:34
Airdrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westjet Passport Denied

We fly to Mexico three times a year with WJ and have never seen a overbooked or heard of a overbooked flight.

However we have seen people miss their return flight due to their own stupidity, ie late or drunk or both. We have seen passports refused in Mexico until a supervisor has been called.

As mentioned before WJ is responsible to fly the refused passenger home.

This is the only way I could see a overbooked flight if someone had to go back on a already full plane.

Edited: 14 June 2013, 03:45
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westjet Passport Denied

And the 99.9% of West Jet customers that do fill the Airplanes that comply with West Jet rules and regulations, fly down with them to Mexico for a great vacation. I suggest obtaining a new Passport if you are having this problem.

Edited: 14 June 2013, 04:27
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,510 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Westjet Passport Denied

If your passport is water damaged / torn pages, etc: they warn you - on their web page

If Mexico customs refuses it or cannot read it , then they send you home on the next flight and westjet pays for it

FROM THEIR WEBSITE

Using your passport for identification?

Passport Canada recommends that you apply for a new passport if your current passport is damaged or inaccessible. Guests travelling with a passport that is damaged in any way could face significant delays, be denied entry at border crossings or be denied boarding on flights altogether.

Edited: 14 June 2013, 04:42
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,335 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westjet Passport Denied

" Avoid Westjet. They are scam artists! "

Pretty bold and broad statement. WJ is not scam artists. They have rules to follow, as do you the flying/paying customer. A little research on your part on their website would have indicated that if your passport is damaged in any way you may be refused boarding or entry into Mexoco. There have only been a handful of these complaints. Its Mexicos rule NOT WestJets. As in @2 I to tell my clients to make sure their passports are in good shape. As for overbooking flights for packaged vacations, doesn't happen. Resorts do it all the time, not airlines.

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westjet Passport Denied

Lots of airlines overbook, it is part of their business model, and you get people voluntarily or involuntarily bumped frequently (I've been on a few flights where they have asked for volunteers because of overbooking, compensation in the form of vouchers is cheaper for them than only selling the number of seats on the plane, other flights where seats can't be assigned until the gate because they are waiting to find out who no-shows, etc) I even take measures to ensure that I am not top if the list for IDB just in case!

But a big part of Westjet's policy is that they do not overbook their flights - that's their business model. I've never heard calls for VDB or seat assignments at the gate, or standby passengers with WJ.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,335 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westjet Passport Denied

Not on charter flights. Domestic/ /Int' flightsl yes, Charters no.

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westjet Passport Denied

As Westjet isn't a charter airline I was comparing like with like.