We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for someone in a wheelchair pls

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lincolnshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice for someone in a wheelchair pls

I am going to the cat next year and my sister and brother in law are now coming with us, however he has a few mobility problems which means he is mostly in a wheelchair. We would like to do some activities in the area but dont know how accessible alot of the tours/attractions are, we all like the idea of a dolphin swim but not sure which one would be the right place to accomodate him and also a visit to some of the mayan ruins. He can walk slowly for a few minutes and does swim a bit. Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,635 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for someone in a wheelchair pls

As far as Mayan ruins, Coba (45 minutes west of Tulum) may be your best option. They have pedicabs (driver powered rickshaw like bike contraptions) that probably seat two adults.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,890 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for someone in a wheelchair pls

Playa has an accessible beach. Here is a link to a blog on it...

buyplayatoday.com/blogs/playalife/archive/20…

Also a good location for other handicap items...

http://www.playamobility.com/

Edited: 23 July 2013, 19:13
lincolnshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for someone in a wheelchair pls

thank you so much CO_Pilot 54, love the fact that we may still be able to go to one of the ruins!

and also thanks to you tie_dye_guy I think the amphibious wheelchairs are a great idea we will certainly check those out.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for someone in a wheelchair pls

Take a trip to Isla Mujeres and drive around the island in a golf cart. Lots! of things to see from the road and lots of easy to walk to things. The ferry is part of the fun.

Also there are boat trips and or pirate trips/dinners that mya be fun.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 21:03
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,388 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for someone in a wheelchair pls

I would contact some of the local tour operators and see what kind of custom tour they can put together for you. I know AGI Tours will do that for you and there may be others.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for someone in a wheelchair pls

My dad has very poor mobility and was able to tour Coba. There were a few places he couldn't go, but the pedicabs (which seated both him and my mom) got him to most of the site.

He's also used the beach wheelchairs at Playa del Carmen.

One caveat is that Mexico in general is not very accessible. Sidewalks in many places don't have curb cuts, are very uneven, and sometimes have odd things (cables, poles) sticking out of their middles so wheelchairs can't pass.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for someone in a wheelchair pls

The CAT is not totally wheelchair friendly. Most areas are accessible but a couple are not. I had a walking handicap while there and became aware of the areas that are not. The Japanese restaurant had stairs only and the spa as well.

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for someone in a wheelchair pls

Thanks for the advice it makes me feel a bit more reassured that we will be able to do certain things as a complete group!

9. Re: Advice for someone in a wheelchair pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 05:17