We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Question about Barcelo Maya Palace/Barcelo Maya Beach

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Question about Barcelo Maya Palace/Barcelo Maya Beach

I am looking at both - I know the Palace is definitey an upgrade, however, am wondering about the oceanfront rooms at the Beach and how nice they are? We like to be as close as possible to the beach. The Beach (oceanfront) is a few hundred $$$ less than the Palace. Is the junior suite at Palace still much better than the oceanfront at the Beach? Thanks!!

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Question about Barcelo Maya Palace/Barcelo Maya Beach

No such thing as a real "oceanfront" room anywhere at the Barcelo regardless of resort section! The closest rooms to the beach area are the Club Premium upgraded accomodations, but even they are all set back well-across from the pool decks. And to get any real glimpse of the ocean from any of those rooms, you will need to be in a third floor room which will enable you to be higher than the tops of the palm tree groves that separate the pool area from the beach front.

And yes, the standard junior suites at the deluxe Palace are far-superior to any of the rooms at the entry-level Beach/Caribe - even after their recent renovation!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Question about Barcelo Maya Palace/Barcelo Maya Beach

Thanks Travelpro. So what about the premium rooms at the Tropical/Colonial? We really don't care about the ocean view - what we want are rooms as close as possible to pool/ocean as my mother-in-law will probably be travelling with us and she has mobility issues.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Question about Barcelo Maya Palace/Barcelo Maya Beach

Regardless of section, this is a huge resort complex and the only way to be assured of closest accomodations to the beach/pool areas within each of them is to upgrade to Club Premium! But it is a two-edged sword, as while you will be closer to the water, depending upon the specific resort, you can be further from everything else.

Here's a link to a map of the Barcelo to help you visualize:

unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/userfiles/file/m…

The Colonial/Tropical is a very nice middle-of-the-road option for the Barcelo.

Have you considered a more mobility-friendly, smaller resort complex? In the Puerto Aventuras region, the Catalonia and Dreams are more compact.

If you are all over age 18, definately consider the Catalonia Royal Tulum, just a few minutes further south!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Question about Barcelo Maya Palace/Barcelo Maya Beach

Thanks for the recommendations - as we will be travelling with our 10 year old son, besides something with not too much walking involved, we are also looking for a resort with plenty of good kids activitie - which I understand the Barcelo has. I have been looking at Dreams Riviera Cancun but it just doesn't seem as good as the Barcelo. The beach at Dreams PA does not seem to be very good. So hard to find a place that ticks off all the boxes - in our case - good beach for walking/swimming; good food (preferably unlimited a la cartes without reservations but that is not a deal breaker); good older kid activities; mobility friendly for a senior and a place where you can go jogging outside within the resort. Am I just asking too much?!

5. Re: Help! Question about Barcelo Maya Palace/Barcelo Maya Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 06:20