We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

barcelo maya construction update

boulder, colorado
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
barcelo maya construction update

Anyone know when construction will be done at Beach/Caribe and what they are remodeling?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: barcelo maya construction update

Just met with our rep from the Barceló and he said the Beach lobby and bar is being redone, the buffet will be AC and there will be a new ala carte. The rooms are being deep cleaned with flat screens and new mattresses being put in and the Caribe lobby and bar will be next. They are building next to the Beach section a pirates waterpark and dolphin pool.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: barcelo maya construction update

Did your Barcelo rep tell you that they are for sure building a dolphin pool? The hotel itself is still denying this so I'd be interested to know if your rep is saying otherwise.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: barcelo maya construction update

Our rep said it was going to be a dolphin pool and it would be open later, can't remember when he said, but that was the plan. There was no denying or anything from him and I asked him in front of a large group.

boulder, colorado
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: barcelo maya construction update

Thank you married11! I am a little sad that they are closing in the open air buffet and putting in a/c. We go in March when it's cold and snowy here in Colorado, and love the fresh air. But I guess it's better for the people that go during the really hot summer months. The dolphin pool will probably deter some travelers, although my kids will love it. Just hoping all this construction will be done by March. We are staying at the Colonial section.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: barcelo maya construction update

I don't think the pirates waterpark (which you will have to pay for unless you are in the family suites) or the dolphin pool will be done yet, but don't quote me. That's how he was leaning anyway. The closing of the rooms (Beach and Caribe) are not construction so won't bother anyone, just deep cleaning and replacing some stuff.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,894 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: barcelo maya construction update

So sad

Do we know how big / small it will be

Still can't believe Bahia guests want to pay for going to their small dolphin pool

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: barcelo maya construction update

He didn't elaborate at all on how big or small. Was really buy touting the pirates waterpark they are building that is similar to the one in Punta Cana at the Barceló Palace complex.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: barcelo maya construction update

I'm also sad to hear about the dolphin pool - but happy about the pirate waterpark - saw the one in Punta Cana and it's fabulous - did you get any indication on when it would be ready or is it still a long way off? We're going end of Feb/beg of March.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: barcelo maya construction update

Honestly, he said when it would be ready and I missed it. I don't believe by Feb/Mar though. More like next winter season, but if I find out more about that I will post. I am excited about the waterpark as my kids are a bit old for the little play areas they have and I would love a full waterpark option in the Mayan. I haven't seen the one at Sandos Caracol though.

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
14,034 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: barcelo maya construction update

There are already water parks at the Tropical/Colonial and the Palace. If you stay at the Beach/Caribe, you can use the ones at the T/C. But it will be nice for the B/C guests to have their own. The age limit for the existing parks is 12.

One thing I don't understand is you said there will be a charge to use the water park unless you stay in one of the family suites? How can they charge for that? They don't charge for the other water parks.