We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teens at Barcelo Maya Palace

canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Teens at Barcelo Maya Palace

Has anyone gone with older teens? I have 18 and 15 years olds. The 18 year olds of course want to have more evening fun. Was at Blue Bay last year and almost no other teens for mine to run around with. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teens at Barcelo Maya Palace

It depends on the time of the year. During the school year, not vacation time? Probably not many.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Teens at Barcelo Maya Palace

We were there at the end of January and there were piles of little kids, not much for older teens.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teens at Barcelo Maya Palace

Virtually no scheduled age-specific activities for teens at this complex regardless of time of year! However, they can participate in any of the daily activities available to all guests, but they must be over age 18 for those activities involving consumption of alcoholic beverages. There is a "teen night" at the Jaguar Disco twice weekly where only soft-drinks are served until regular club activities start at 11pm, then they must leave unless they are over age 18.

A much better resort destination with scheduled activities for every age group - specially designed for kids/tweens/teens - can be found at the Grand Palladium complex just south of the Barcelo.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,020 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teens at Barcelo Maya Palace

shulzie- we went a couple of winters in a large group including three 16 year olds, an 18 year old and a 21 year old. They had a blast. We were there over the school break in mid February, and there were plenty of other teens staying there at that time.

The evenings WERE a bit quieter for them compared to the days-loads of things to do during the days. But evenings they would go to dinner with us boring adults usually, then go to the show, then hang out in the lobby bar for a bit with other kids their age, maybe go to the disco, or go watch movies in someone's room. They were just fine.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Teens at Barcelo Maya Palace

Which resort would you recommend between Barcelo Maya Palance and Barcelo Maya Tropical

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Teens at Barcelo Maya Palace

Welcome to the forum vschiffman:

If your budget permits it, choose the deluxe Barceló Maya Palace resort section!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Teens at Barcelo Maya Palace

I would book the Palace because its newer, nicer in my opinion and I like that kind of thing. But I have also stayed at the Tropical and its fine too. The one great thing, and probably the selling point for this resort is the long, wide beach and great on site snorkeling that you can get whether you stay at the Palace or one of the less expensive resorts in the complex.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Teens at Barcelo Maya Palace

Not sure if you approve of swim with dolphin pools or not, but you should be aware, before you book, that the Barcelo Maya resorts are opening one on their property very shortly. What I didn't like is that the Barcelo were lying to people on their facebook website about what they were building at their resort, right up until a guest posted pictures proving they were building a swim with dolphin pool and not a scuba diving pool. Now most posts mentioning the swim with dolphin pool on their facebook book website have been removed and only nice comments remain about their resorts. This is very deceptive to me. I personally don't like abusing these highly intelligent and social animals for profit, but to lie to their customers about what they were building on their property tells me they do not value their customers. Having stayed at the Barcelo Maya in the past (before the swim with dolphin pool went in) and then discovering the Grand Palladium resorts more recently, we prefered the Grand Palladium, even if they never put in a swim with dolphin pool. The GP have a great teens club. The GP is just south of the Barcelo and is on a beautiful stretch of beach with on site snorkeling and has a salt water pool as well. There are lots of palm trees and palapa huts and the towel game is not played there, because there are lots of loungers and lots of shade. It does have the class system that the Barcelo Maya has going on. At the Barcelo, it depends on what resort you stay at on what you can use. At the Grand Palladium, you can stay at one and play, eat and drink at all, with the exception of their all adult Royal resort. There are lots of a la cartes at the Grand Palladium and no reservations are required. They do have a BBQ on the beach at the GP on Friday nights (weather permitting), where you do have to make reservations the day before. Normally, if you go to an a la carte at the GP and they can't seat you right away, they give you a pager and you can go to the lobby have a drink and relax and until your pagers goes off. At the Barcelo, you should make all your a la carte reservations when you first arrive, and even then people sometimes have a difficult time getting a reservation for the a la cartes or the time they want. If you want to find out more information about the GP, do a search on the internet for the Palladium Addict website. Lots of information, pictures and a forum to ask questions and compare other resorts. Hope I have been of some help. Have a great vacation.

Edited: 30 October 2013, 23:22
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Teens at Barcelo Maya Palace

APF: Is it really necessary to slam a property on every thread about it, it's really getting old... If you don't like it, don't go there, but hijacking every thread is hardly appropriate. Why aren't you doing the same to the Bahia, Dreams, Secrets, Palace, Sunscape, etc.?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Teens at Barcelo Maya Palace

"APF: Is it really necessary to slam a property on every thread about it, it's really getting old... If you don't like it, don't go there, but hijacking every thread is hardly appropriate. Why aren't you doing the same to the Bahia, Dreams, Secrets, Palace, Sunscape, etc.?"

Well said, thank you!