We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo and Dolphins? No way. Now what????

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Topic
Barcelo and Dolphins? No way. Now what????

So glad I came here and discovered that they are building a dolphinarium. Problem is that these dolphin jails are proliferating so much that I feel there are less and less choices. Want a bit of a luxe experience that would be good for a tweener too. Had decided on Maya Palace Club premium. And ideas of what may be similar? Also already posted my comment on their Facebook page. As well, I will protest this wherever I can! Couldn't face my animal loving kid if we went...

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo and Dolphins? No way. Now what????

Head just south of the Barcelo to the Grand Palladium complex. Great assortment of accomodations to choose from with unlimited no reservation required a la carte dining, and it has the area's best kid/tween/teen activities program!

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo and Dolphins? No way. Now what????

I agree . . . we went to the GP last May and my kids had a ball. Lots to do and the food was great. I would stay at the Kantenah part, as it is closer to the best part of the beach. The on-site dive shop was the best ever (scuba and snorkeling trips).

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,782 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo and Dolphins? No way. Now what????

Hi

There was another thread running on this very topic

tripadvisor.co.uk/…53802483

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo and Dolphins? No way. Now what????

Yes, if you are a person sensitive to this problem, you should avoid Barcelo to have a piece of mind on vacation.

Still lots of choices resorts that have no dolphin prisons - some of them are higher end, like Grand Palladium with their teens club, all Riu Palaces in Playacar, higher end Iberostar properties in Paraiso.

Canada
Level Contributor
400 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo and Dolphins? No way. Now what????

The Playdium gets my vote as well!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo and Dolphins? No way. Now what????

Mine too. Also, didn't like the fact that the Barcelo Maya lied to us for months about what they were building. They have lost a lot of credibility.

Edited: 01 November 2013, 17:44
7. Re: Barcelo and Dolphins? No way. Now what????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 November 2013, 00:05
Edited: 03 November 2013, 00:05
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo and Dolphins? No way. Now what????

It was locked because you didn't douse it in "travel" talk.

Thanks for the replies. I have always been weary of the mega-resorts, but it sounds like GP is the way to go.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,533 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelo and Dolphins? No way. Now what????

I thought barcelo was a mega resort???

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelo and Dolphins? No way. Now what????

I was looking at Barcelo Maya Palace (I think???) the smaller and more exclusive part. I thought that may be a good compromise. I like small, kid needs bigger...more action, more peers. Trying to get the best of both. Still no clear choice...