We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI Suggestions Please

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
515 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
AI Suggestions Please

Hi,

Hubby and I are returning for our 4th trip to Riviera Maya. I just found out that Aventura Spa and Resort is now Hard Rock. Based on the reviews...not willing to chance going there, especially with the awesome memories we have. We have also been to Barcelo where I found the service to be completely lacking.

So, can anyone suggestion an AI that is adults only. Mid to high end. Nice pools. Great food. Awesome amenities. We are looking at about $3500.

Hugs,

Chelle

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI Suggestions Please

How long are you planning on staying? That will help suggestions that will fit your budget. I understand your trepidation about the HRRM. A friend is getting married there in May and I am worried for her and her guests.

Have you looked at Paradisus La Perla, Valentin Imperial Maya or any of the Secrets resorts? Id recommend Iberostar Grand because that's our favorite, but don't think for a week that will fit your budget. Or the Royal Playa Del Carmen.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 14:52
Ohio
Level Contributor
515 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI Suggestions Please

We have 9 days.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI Suggestions Please

Texas gave some great recommendations.

The only 2 AO in this area that I can personally recommend are the Valentin Imperial Maya and the Royal Playa Del Carmen. Both are great resorts and here lately have been pricing out very close to each other with the Royal being just slightly higher.

The Valentin has a huge main pool and a beautiful beach with 7 dinner options (but only buffet or room service for breakfast and lunch) and has great landscaping/grounds. It definitely has the tropical feel that a lot of travellers look for in their vacations and is one of the best values I can find for a decent adults only in this area.

Our personal favorite is the Royal Playa Del Carmen mainly because of it's in town location. The pools are really fun and we love the food here more than any other resort that we've been to. The service, staff, rooms, etc. are all really great at the Royal and the fact that you can walk out of your door and be on 5th Avenue or at one of the many beach bars within minutes is what makes us love it.

Secrets, Excellence and El Dorado resorts are all adults only and have strong following/reviews but to be honest I'm not sure if any of the above mentioned will come in at $3500 for 9 days/8 Nights. We're looking to book a trip back to the Royal this May and we're looking around $3400 for 7 nights (which is $600 more than we paid for 7 nights last year).

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,531 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AI Suggestions Please

Out of all those recommendations, the Royal is our favorite, but unless your (9) day vacation is during an off-peak season, it is doubtful that any of the aforementioned resorts will price-out within your budget, unless that $3500 amount is reflective of the hotel portion only.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AI Suggestions Please

I agree, I am not sure that budget will get you any of those for 9 days. But, there is always hope I suppose!

Gresham, Oregon
Level Contributor
230 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AI Suggestions Please

Ever think about splitting your stay instead of spending the whole time at one resort? We are trying that this time, leaving next week for 3 nights at a small boutique hotel on 5th Ave and then going for a week at HRRM? I know, some reviews have been negative since the change but we are willing to go somewhere else on Riviera Maya that we haven't seen yet. We have stayed previously at The Royal, Moon Palace, and Playacar Palace. Enjoyed all. Stayed at Playacar Palace last May and loved location in town, on beach, and access to area. Have a nice trip!

Ohio
Level Contributor
515 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AI Suggestions Please

Haven't thought of that because I don't want to have to repack and move. Since posting this, I find myself torn between Palace Playacar and Palace Cozumel. We are hoping to find a member to book through. We had lunch at Playacar years ago and it didn't seem that big, is that the case?

Gresham, Oregon
Level Contributor
230 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AI Suggestions Please

It really isn't that big, about 300 rooms. If you want more details please send me a private message through TripAdvisor and we can try to help with your questions. We haven't been to Palace Cozumel yet but some friends went in August after talking with us and they really enjoyed it. Different vibe but both are nice resorts to consider.

9. Re: AI Suggestions Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 05:19