We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Maya?

jackson, nj
Level Contributor
153 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Maya?

Beach, pools, food, room best/worst if you can plz... traveling with 5/12/16, they like the "fun" pools at Iberostar. I don't like that the pools are set back so far from beach. It's really bothering me, but if the kids are going to enjoy the pools I'm with it. Are the pools at Barcelo just as fun? Just having a hard time deciding... Any help is appreciated.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,802 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Maya?

The huge pool deck at the Palace is only separated from the beachfront by a wide paver walkway and a grove of palm trees, but there are really no special features within the pool except for some partially submerged tile loungers and some spray heads and bubblers. If your kids are under age 12, there is a water park adjoining the main pool, but designed more for the very young. And there is also an adjacent lap pool where they hold water activity events. It's closer to the beach than those pools at the Iberostar, but the pools at the Iberostar offer far-more fun stuff in them!

There is good snorkeling off the Palace beach but it is rocky. If you walk 10 minutes or so south to the other resort sections, the beach gets much nicer and that area certainly beats the Iberostar beach. The Palace also offers very nice junior suites as standard. But the better food and beverage quality and variety as well as the onsite scheduled activities and entertainment are definitely at the Iberostar! And they don't "nickel-and-dime you" over non-inclusive features as the do at the Barceló.

Hope this helps! Happy Travels whichever you choose!

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Paraiso Beach
Iberostar Paraiso Beach
5,567 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
jackson, nj
Level Contributor
153 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Maya?

Thank yiu so much travelpro for your response. I must think of the kids first and it sounds like they will enjoy iberostar pools better. But we also like beach. What Didn't you like about Ib Maya/lindo beaches?

Edited: 30 January 2014, 14:30
Mentioned in this post
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
410 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
3. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Maya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 17:35
Edited: 30 January 2014, 17:35
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Maya?

The Iberostar Maya is definitely livlier for kids. I found the Barcelo Maya Palace kind of dullsville in comparison. The difference between the two beaches is that the Barcelo is set in a cove so the water is usually fairly calm there. The ocean at the Iberostar usually has some wave action...very rarely it is dead calm. The beach at the Iberostar is nice....lots of white sand...and it's a nice walk if you head south of the resort.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
5,311 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
8,638 Reviews
Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
jackson, nj
Level Contributor
153 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Maya?

Thank you. ..that's helpful. Is it always swimable though??? we don't mind some waves

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Maya?

I haven't been to either but a friend who's been to both preferred the Barcelo so we decided to book there. Unfortunately it was only after booking that I found out that the Barcelo recently opened a dolphin pen and I'm really against that so it might be something for you to take into consideration.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,802 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Maya?

Yes, the surf at the Iberostar is definitely swimmable and also alittle livelier than at the Barceló Palace, which makes for some fun times if you like to boogie board or skim board.

Ohio
Level Contributor
536 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Maya?

We have not been to Iberostar, but we did take our boys to Barcelo 2 years ago. We stayed in the Palace section for 2 reasons, we were able to get a room with 2 day beds and the kids had their own water park. The property is gorgeous, but I found the service sadly lacking. Upon arriving in our room, after it taking over an hour to check in, there was a fruit plate waiting for us. A nice gesture, but, there were ants marching up and down the table. I called housekeeping and was asked what I wanted done...really?? After telling them that I wanted the ants removed, it took a couple of hours for someone to show up.

That being said, my boys loved their visit. We packed floaties and had them blown up on property. This made my guys very popular with the other kids. We also found it difficult to get chairs in the shade, but we were there in July.

Hugs,

Chelle

jackson, nj
Level Contributor
153 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Maya?

Thank you all...I am gong with iberostar. Going June 1. Next question. ... Lindo is 784$ total LESS for our family for two standard rooms vs 2 jr suites at MAYA. IS IT WORTH IT TO STAY AT MAYA?

Mentioned in this post
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
410 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Ohio
Level Contributor
536 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Maya?

I would go with what is a good fit for your family. I personally NEED a bedroom separate from the kids and am willing to pay extra for that must have. You don't say how old your kids are, but I think everyone needs their own space.

There will be those who will say that you aren't in the room that much, which might be true, but nothing beats being able to wind down in private after a day of family fun. That was a valuable lesson I learned from our cruise and trip to Barcelo with the kids. By the last night, I was ready to snap! So last year when we went to Disney, I paid extra for a family suit that had a separate bedroom and bathroom for mom and dad. It was awesome!!!

Hugs,

Chelle