We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Upgrade

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
746 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Upgrade

I have never tried to: A) use my resort credit towards upgrade to my room

B) try to upgrade to another section of resort

C) thought about whether upgrading to club premium at the Beach section

is better than upgrading to Tropical/Colonial.

I have stayed at the Beach and at the Palace sections. nevr club premium, and have no idea what each of the upgrades will cost. I booked the Beach section for May and now I am thinking about it and I would like to know my options. Is is cheaper to upgrade on arrival? is it easy or a hassle? Should I inquire with my travel agent?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,723 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Upgrade

Upgrades are strictly on an availability basis at check-in. If you want to be assured of the section and category accomodation you want, best to reserve it ahead of time! It's a simple matter to change your booking. Just tell your travel agent. Plus the cost is set in-advance, usually at a good discount, and with no risk of being charged the published rack-rate by Barcelo at the time of check-in, which is a favorite thing their management team likes to do.

If you plan on using that Barcelo credit voucher to upgrade your room at the time of check-in, read the fine print: "Valid on the purchase of a room category upgrade based on the regular rate and stays of minimum 7 nights. It does not apply with promotional rates." Meaning you need to pay full published rack-rate, then they apply the credit amount. (it's the same with the rest of those vouchers by-the-way...full price of goods or service, then the voucher is credited)

If you are concerned about the Maya Caribe's construction noise and construction visibility as a guest at the adjoining Maya Beach and think upgrading to Club Premium there will make it different for you, the short answer is that once it starts, it won't. You will need to move north to the Colonial/Tropical or the Palace to truly be unaffected by it.

And don't count on them closing the Beach & Caribe by the time you arrive in May and giving you a free upgrade to one of the other sections within the complex. Yes, they did that when the Beach resort began their actual demolition phase of renovation, but that came well-after they began to prepare for it. They will just be closing the Caribe in early May and it will be several weeks of removing furnishings and setting up safety zones before the real noisy stuff begins.

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
746 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Upgrade

Great load of info Travelpro198! Everything you said makes tons of sense. I really am going to move to colonial/tropical section. What the heck, its the only resort section I haven't stayed in. Maybe wait till next year to see the renovations, or maybe just save $ and wave from the Palace ( I love it there) thank you.

Denver
Level Contributor
512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Upgrade

I upgraded our room,we arrive on Saturday. I first checked with the travel company I used to see how much it would cost and then contacted the hotel to get a rate. The hotel rate was better and they used my resort credit towards the cost.

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
746 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Upgrade

Hello Idd5, I am waiting to see what my agent can do. Hope you enjoy your trip. I love Barceló!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Upgrade

Idd5, How much did the hotel charge you for the upgrade?

6. Re: Barcelo Upgrade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 04:27