We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM Skimming Santander Bank

A R
Akumal, Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
ATM Skimming Santander Bank

Last Sunday 4/2014 I used my card at the Santander kiosk in Puerto Aventuras. Someone skimmed the card - captured the PIN and subsequently drained the account over 5 days. I was told by Bank of America (who suggests Santander to avoid fees) to use only ATMs at banks - and never use one in a place that would allow someone to sneak in and place the skimming technology in place. There is a Santander bank in Playa and one in Tulum. Make the drive and avoid using your ATM card in any kiosk style location.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,554 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM Skimming Santander Bank

I also try to avoid ATM´s in secluded locations for several reasons. But many locations where I consider the ATM safe without going to the bank, such as supermarkets, airports, bus terminals , etc. Little opportunity for someone to attach skimming equipment. And last time I heard of skimming in Cozumel, it was inside the Banamex bank. So nothing foolproof.

Tulum, Mexico
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM Skimming Santander Bank

Just a small correction. There is no bank for Santandar in TUlum. There is a bank atm at the ado but no bank.

Denver
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM Skimming Santander Bank

ATM skimmers are a danger regardless of where you are at. It can happen at your local gas station or grocery store.

ALWAYS check the machine by tugging on the card insertion device, looking for modifications, and by checking for cameras. It's wise to use one hand to cover your other hand while you type your number. This way, at least if your card number is skimmed, they can't grab your pin.

techcrunch.com/2014/…

…go.com/US/…

krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,029 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM Skimming Santander Bank

Had my ATM card skimmed here in Victoria BC.

I was told that it likely happened at a self serve gas station, that cameras to catch PIN numbers from across the street.

So now I always use the machines facing the inside of the gas station, not the road and ALWAYS use my hand to cover the pin pad.

5. Re: ATM Skimming Santander Bank

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2015, 06:16