We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

xpu-Ha acces, & cute towns?

Level Contributor
527 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
xpu-Ha acces, & cute towns?

Currently in Puerto Aventuras for a few days. Left my Mapchick PA/Xpu-Ha map at home! Argh! So, can anyone tell me how we can lazd adiund Xpu-Ha for a few hours? Are all beaches public, and can we park at any hotel or condo and walk to the beach? Any suggestions? Se prefer option of shade and a restaurant close by. Might be fun to watch the kitesurfers too. I'm with people who don't swim - don't even own shorts - so we're going for scenery. I might swim.

Also, I'm looking for any quaint towns to explore. My in- laws from Mexico City are with me. Akumal was a little too much like home, and I think Tulum will be, too. We've been to PDC and will go to Puerto Morelos latdr. Isla Mujeres is out. How's Chetmuyil and Linda Vicaria? Anyone know how far Linda Vicaria is from PA? Thanks so much!!

Level Contributor
527 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: xpu-Ha acces, & cute towns?

I mean Leona Vicario. And I realize how silly it sounds that Akumal pueblo is too much like Mexico City for my in-laws! It's just not quaint.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: xpu-Ha acces, & cute towns?

Here's some Xpu Ha stuff .

Take the PA overpass and proceed several miles until you see a stand alone Pemex station . You will pass a selection of inexpensive simple cenotes like Azul and Cristalino . As you pass these look to your left for La Playa beach club's sign as it comes up fairly fast later on . After the Pemex use the retorno to return north . Wait for a good gap in traffic if possible so you can exit the highway more easily . Turn at La Playa's sign . You will have to pay 40 pesos each which is refundable after spending 125 pesos each at the beach club . All but the first row of beach loungers and chair seating is free with the same spending of 125 pesos . Under that amount there is a fee and there is a fee for the first row seating always .

A couple could simply view the entry as a parking fee and picnic as you choose but it's expensive parking with a family group .

There is a small bar called , Living the Dream ,which was new to us this year just south at the Bonanza Campground , one highway exit before , and you can pay to park there ,I believe and use that bar and sit on the sand or on swing bar chairs .

Chemuyil is a simple village but is probably the quaintest of the villages . There are a few dining options .

Don't sell Tulum short on a nice evening walk . It is small enough to easily find some small town squares and shaded parks with normal commerce amongst the tourist fare . Just head east off the highway about mid town , say at the HSBC bank and walk east and south from there . The highway runs through town with service roads on each side with parking . More stores on the highway are tourist shops but even the main tourist zone of town will still have a hardware store or two mixed in . The whole town is only a few miles long and a few miles wide . Catch it while you can .

There are great dining options with a world wide cuisine .

Edited: 19 May 2014, 15:34
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,692 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: xpu-Ha acces, & cute towns?

Great info from Juan

La Playa beach club is also identified by a jet ski by the hwy

You mentioned Akumal Pueblo was too like MX city

Did you try Akumal Playa byt the ocean?

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: xpu-Ha acces, & cute towns?

Visited Xpu-Ha last week at La Playa beach club, that is just such a beautiful beach and the weather was great. Food and service was good and the bathrooms are clean.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
299 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: xpu-Ha acces, & cute towns?

Go to Tan-kah. Swim in Cenote Manati and have lunch on the beach at Casa Cenote.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,616 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: xpu-Ha acces, & cute towns?

I don´t really think of any ¨cute¨ towns in the area.

I agree Tulum is somewhat interesting but not what I consider cute. In my opinion, too late to ¨catch it while you can¨.

But some good suggestions here.

7. Re: xpu-Ha acces, & cute towns?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 11:21