We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Money

Glasgow, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spending Money

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I got a last minute deal to go to Mexico on Thursday. We are staying at the Catalonia hotel and were looking for some advice.

Can you reccommend any must do trips? As it is a last minute trip we have not had time to save up lots of spending money and are looking to know which are the best. Quite interested in any that involve snorkelling/diving.

Is it better to buy excursions tickets from seller outside of the travel company?

How much money would you reccommned for two weeks if we are looking to do it on a budget?

What is the expectation for tipping when eating and drinking within your hotel?

Any other tips or tricks for first time visitors would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sarah

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,262 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending Money

Definitely try the Captain Quickies tours

http://www.localquickies.com/

Or there are some other great small excursion companies - book directly, not through a 3rd party

Yucatreks.com

Edventuretours.com

Now many of these places can be done yourself if you don't like to do organized tours, such as Xel-Ha water park, cenotes, snorkeling (such as my famous Akumal / Yal-Ku golf cart snorkel tour)

See

tripadvisor.ca/…35585095

For tipping, while not mandatory, some do tip as it is a 'North American' custom

See this thread for ideas

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k7446…

Edited: 23 June 2014, 15:57
2. Re: Spending Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 06:17