We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphins at Barcelo Maya Tropical

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
200 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphins at Barcelo Maya Tropical

Which section of the Barcelo is the dolphin pool where you cans wim with them? and can you do that no matter which section you are staying in? Does anyone know how much it costs to do that? I read that just a cd with the pictures from this is 220.00.

Any info appreciated!!! Thanks :-)

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphins at Barcelo Maya Tropical

Dolphin swims and the photos are very expensive so $220 just for the CD doesn't sound outlandish to me. No dolphin swim at any resort limits access to certain guests only. These operations are all about making money so excluding guests staying in certain areas of the resort would be contrary to their business model. (And yes, this is a business in the purest sense of the word - any claims about research or dolphin welfare is a load of hooey.)

Apart from the cost, another downside are the potential health risks. People have been injured (some quite seriously) by dolphins whilst participating in this sort of thing and others have contracted some rather nasty skin conditions caused by swimming in what is essentially the dolphins' toilet. It's also possible for dolphins to contract disease from humans.

The cherry on the top, of course, is the controversial (understatement!) way these animals are captured and trained (perform or starve method).

I would very respectfully suggest that you do some research other than just checking the price, so that at least your decision to participate (or not) is an informed one. Here's a recent thread that you may find informative and which contains some very useful links - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g153510-i166-k76853… As with all threads related to dolphin swims, there are a lot of deleted posts but I think there's enough there to get you started.

Happy researching!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphins at Barcelo Maya Tropical

Look on the Dolphinaris website for pricing info. They run it. It is located near the pier and open to all sections.

Edited: 15 August 2014, 16:34
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
200 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphins at Barcelo Maya Tropical

Thank you very much for all of your info!

4. Re: Dolphins at Barcelo Maya Tropical

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras