We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EL Dorado seaside suites questions.

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
EL Dorado seaside suites questions.

Hi there, I initially posted this on the Pdc forum but had no replies so hoping ill have better luck here!!

There appears to be a large discount through Thomson to the EDSS but husband and I are worried about a couple of things.

1) Is the hotel really posh? Do we always need to get dressed up to go to the restaurants? We quite like not having to get really dressed up some nights.

2) What nightime entertainment is on offer? It isnt our honeymoon and we have been married 4 years so like a little bit going on in the evenings to keep us busy.

3) How easy is it to get to PDC from this resort?

Thanks

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EL Dorado seaside suites questions.

I wouldn't say it was posh.

I think more smart casual.

Ladies

Summer dress/capri trousers/nice top and maybe mules/sandals with a bit of bling. I bought some toe ring sandals to take.

Men

Collared shirts/polo/short sleeved. Tailored shorts/chinos. No beach sandals.

Day time. Just chuck a cover over swimwear.

Low key entertainment that's probably changed since I was there 18mths ago. To be honest, I struggled to stay up past 9.30 due to jetlag, sun, snorkelling,swimming and too much food and drink.

It's not a party place. I would have thought more of a chill and chat with a bit entertainment on the side.

No idea about PDC.

Why don't you check out the TA EDSS reviews. People might mention places they went to.

Choctaw, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EL Dorado seaside suites questions.

There is a FB page with tons of information.

Level Contributor
3,239 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EL Dorado seaside suites questions.

Hi maeganlaura, we were there in Apr/May & wouldn't say it was posh, as said before smart casual. The entertainment ranged from tribute acts, Mexican nights, fire shows, films in cinema & live music in the main bar(1 of which being an xcellent sax player). Recommend the Asian restaurant Kalay Talay

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,523 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: EL Dorado seaside suites questions.

Easy to get to the front entrance of EDSS and take a colectivo/taxi to Playa

EDSS is just north of Akumal

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EL Dorado seaside suites questions.

Ok thankyou for that.

I arent on FB but will try have a look at the page.

What does daytime activities consist of?

Also are three any buffets at lunchtime or is that all a la carte sit down also?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EL Dorado seaside suites questions.

There is a buffet on the beach with burgers, chicken and I think fish. There is a great outside eatery which is seated at tables with waiter service, the Sandwicherie. Coverup of beach attire required for lunch. They serve great pizzas, burgers and ice cream.

The second week we were there they started serving lunch snacks from little trollies right by the beach.

Room service is also included.

There was activities during the day. Appeared to range from ceramic painting to beach volley ball. None of it was in your face so you could totally relax or take part. We would amble past and see that the volley ball appeared well supported and see people sat in the shade painting.

I got so relax I only shifted from the sunlounger to snorkel.

Some aren't keen on the beach. It is a bit gritty, not really soft sand. The staff work hard to keep it clean and remove rocks in the shallow water. The main area for swimming is waist to shoulder deep in parts, I'm 5ft 4. It suits me as I'm not a strong swimmer and is one of the main reasons I chose EDSS. Might not suit some.

The guests seemed to be made up of Brits, Americans and Canadians. We found everyone to be very sociable.

The age group varied a lot while we were there, young honeymooners to people like ourselves, late 50's. There were a number of weddings on the beach which occasionally brought a large group staying for a few days.

Hope this helps.

Sandra b

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EL Dorado seaside suites questions.

Sandra, that is brilliantly helpful thankyou for that.

Now the only thing putting me off is the beach. We stayed in Playacar last year and were spoilt with soft white sand and clear water. Is it really not a good beach?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EL Dorado seaside suites questions.

Also, in one review I read that there are extra charges on many of the menus, and they can be restrictive if you choose just to order the 'all inclusive' . At the Tucan last year everything from shrimp to fillet steak was included, is this accurate? It was only one review!!

Level Contributor
3,239 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EL Dorado seaside suites questions.

Yes there are extras, you must ask for the GI wine list or get the house wine. Steak, lobster, etc are extra. We didn't have a problem with the house Cabernet or one of the red wines, named spirits in the bars are included

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EL Dorado seaside suites questions.

The main resort beach is a little coarse in places, not all soft powdery stuff. Though I heard it was softer further along.

Depending on weather conditions, I found the water very clear for snorkelling. When you stand knee deep in the water you get surrounded by fish if they think they're going to get fed.

I've been told that the reef off shore got damaged by a hurricane a number of years ago. I'm guessing this is the source of the rocks scattered around out in the water. Reefs being so fragile it's slowly recovering. There are things called 'whales' protecting said reef. They look like low walls made of sandbags, the tops just visible above the water. Some think these unattractive but I didn't really notice them. Actually, I felt it stopped big waves that made me feel safer when swimming.

The beach was fine by me, if a bit crowded. It's a personal choice.

You do pay extra for Lobster and Steak. Please be aware, they take the lobster out of the tank if you order one. The look of horror on one woman's face as they showed her their proposed dinner in a bucket was priceless.

With 6/7 places to chose from to eat, all with plenty of choice, it wasn't restrictive at all.

The staff cannot do enough for you. The grounds are compact and truly beautiful, maintained by an 'army' of gardeners. The food is very good. It's the best AI we've been to other than the 'Le Blanc Hotel' in Cancun which costs ££££

more. My favourite AI ever ever is 'Coco Reef' in Tobago but that has only 2 places to eat and again, ££££ higher in price. I feel EDSS is a lovely resort and excellent value which is why we are returning with friends in November.

I fear I may have put you off but I'm trying to be brutally honest. I hope I've helped. Bear in mind, my impressions could differ wildly from other guests.

Regards Sandra b

PS I was there 18 mths ago. Someone else maybe more up to date

Edited: 18 August 2014, 16:56