We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Falassarna-Elafonisi road is really so dangerous?

Caesarea, Israel
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Falassarna-Elafonisi road is really so dangerous?

I've read somebody's comment from 2008 about and there is told

"Although very narrow two-way street. No part paved, stones rolling down the entire length hundred meters high cliffs with no safety railings without safety bays. No doubt the views are crazy, but with fear because of the trip on the precipice not possible to enjoy the view. All travel time can not pass the 20 km /h, very dangerous!

Do yourself a favor you're on vacation, go do Bungee jumping. Its much more safer."

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Falassarna-Elafonisi road is really so dangerous?

Hi there

Other than the first few kms from Falasarna to Platanos, then the final kms from Vathi to Elafonissi, this is major route. I have to say that I last drove this road in 2005 and found it no better or worse than any other twisty road on Crete. It's true that your average speed will be low but that's due to the road's course, and not because the road is covered in stones, or is slippery. Yes, there are spectacular views, as you would expect from a road that at times sits on the 600m contour line

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
179 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Falassarna-Elafonisi road is really so dangerous?

We've driven this road many times without any problem.

middx
Level Contributor
408 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Falassarna-Elafonisi road is really so dangerous?

Hi,

our first visit to Crete this year, loved it by the way, we stayed at Georgioupolis and my husband drove down to Falisarna and Elofonissi (? spelling) and we thought the roads were excellent, slow in places, of course, but as so pretty whats the rush? We didn't encounter any stones, boulders or rock falls, goats were more of a 'problem' if anything. We drove to other places and found the roads to be very good.

Mari

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
610 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Falassarna-Elafonisi road is really so dangerous?

Don't let anyone put you off driving this road. We did it last year and it is stunningly beautiful in parts and certainly not dangerous.

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Falassarna-Elafonisi road is really so dangerous?

A road is as dangerous as you make it common sense and a passion for exploring is all you need happy travels

Caesarea, Israel
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Falassarna-Elafonisi road is really so dangerous?

The most dangerous road in Crete ;)

https:/…5623315228554763730

Edited: 04 July 2011, 08:13
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Falassarna-Elafonisi road is really so dangerous?

LOL, that road's a doddle compared to some of those up in the mountains.

Antwerpen
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Falassarna-Elafonisi road is really so dangerous?

Yes, the road on the West Coast of Crete (Falassarna - Elafonisi) is really dangerous. I did it in May 2013. The views are sometimes terrific indeed, but if you are a bit aware of risks, you know this is dangerous road. Some parts are ok, the roads then are sufficiently large. But, some hundreds of meters further, the road suddenly becomes way too narrow, no safety guards, very steep ravines, in order words: you risk your life. So: drive slowly and do some serious honking.

London, England...
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Falassarna-Elafonisi road is really so dangerous?

VovaD That looks amazing.

I think some people need to realise that unspoiled natural beauty often comes without modern infrastructure and that in some ways this is better. We should be careful what we ask for, sometimes the wish to preserve nature does cannot come hand in hand with convenience, sometimes they even oppose each-other.

I always see going to remote untouched places as a small adventure that requires a little bit of extra effort from my part. An effort that I'm willing to take for the reward of being there but often also for the "journey" itself. If you are careful and reasonable, regardless of the conditions, you will rarely get into any kind of trouble, if you cannot or do not want to sacrifice maximum convenience please stick around the resorts and think before you complain why a remote, protected, natural reserve area does not come with a highway. And of course do your homework and research the places you want to visit before you visit so that you know what you expect.

Edited: 10 July 2013, 14:33
London, England...
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Falassarna-Elafonisi road is really so dangerous?

"you know what TO expect"

Get answers to your questions about Elafonissi