We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe in Cancun?

Which Aguascalientes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
So. Indiana
Level Contributor
16 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Safe in Cancun?

My wife and I have reservations at an all-inclusive resort in Cancun in late March and have never been to Mexico other than a day trip to Tijuana several years ago. I wasn't concerned about our safety until I mentioned our trip to various friends. Several have mentioned the safety issue, including a rumor of two people shot a while back in Cancun. Do I need to be concerned? Should we cancel our trip? What about sightseeing, shopping, eating outside the resort?

4 replies to this topic
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe in Cancun?

first, take a deep breath and try to hang with better educated people. cancun is about 800thousand people so yes crime does happen. crime in mexico is most all up on the border, a thousand miles away. there is very little crime in mexico aimed at tourists. cancun is safe. it would be paranoid to just hide inside the resort many rent cars and travel the yucatan everyday.

Edited: 25 February 2011, 15:16
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe in Cancun?

And you have posted this in the Aguascalientes forum which is hundreds of miles away from Cancun :) Yes, in a city of 1 million people it is possible that two people were shot "a while back" and Cancun is not immune from crime. But it's really very safe to visit.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe in Cancun?

Hello,

Most of what you hear/see today not only from friends but on the news, are greatly misrepresented facts. Yes, there is a drug "war" going on between cartels and yes, there is violence. But it is just as true too that said violence and "war" is going on at very specific points of Mexico.

You have to keep in mind that Mexico is a very large country, and to generalize and assume that the whole country is under fire is just plain wrong.

I invite you to check out my project, "Cancun is Safe!" in where you'll find a great deal of information I've personally compiled to show the real situation in Cancun and Mexico, including external links to trusted sources of information.

cancunissafe.com/cancun-news/…

You can also check out Cancun is Safe's Facebook page, where I constantly curate and share travel safety related information plus also destination information about Cancun and the Riviera Maya.

http://www.facebook.com/cancunissafe

I hope they help to make you feel more relaxed about your upcoming trip.

Let me know if I can help you, regards from Cancun!

Camilo

Corpus Christi...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe in Cancun?

I live in South Texas and the warnings being issued are more for the boarder towns. I had the same fears too but everyone on the forums are right by saying just use your best judgement and don't go anywhere that doesn't look safe. When we went to PV last year it was so totally safe. I'm sure Cancun will be the same since these places rely on tourists to visit the areas.

Reply to: Safe in Cancun?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aguascalientes