We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering MX

Arizona
2 posts
Save Topic
Entering MX

I hear that it is important to have MX car insurance. I am leaving in a few days and was wondering where I would be able to purchase last minute car insurance for cheap. Also, could anyone tell me what is and isnt allowed across the border? Am I allowed to pack my car with food, water, alcohol?? I am a young girl and am trying to avoid all problems that may occur at the border.

Thanks!

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entering MX

Yes important to have car ins. If you are entering at Lukeville/Sonoyta, the store at the border (US side) can sell you a policy. Or in Why, Ajo, Gila Bend etc. avg 10 to 15 $ a day depending on policy.

Or check the lnks here>>>>> http://www.rockypointmexico.com/

Most anything can come into Mexico with you if it isn't for sale

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,789 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entering MX

It's not just important to have Mexican car insurance, it is required. If you were in any kind of accident, even just a little fender-bender, you go to jail until the accident is resolved and claims paid if you don't have insurance.

Do not travel alone. That would invite trouble.

Clearwater, Florida
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Entering MX

I got my Mexican Insurance from the link here:

web2web.mexicoinsuranceonline.com/index.cgi…

It was pretty easy and fairly painless. I kept a copy in the van and a copy in the luggage in our room just in case. It was $53 for Memorial Day weekend (Friday-Monday) for our 99 Windstar Minivan.

Going across the border was fine, we had food, water, beer, etc. We got waved over on the way in, but they just looked us over and said "Have a niec time". On the way back the American side took our apples even though we bought them in the US. We really had not thought about that, but declared what we had. They were cool about and just said even though they were brought from the US, we couldn't bring them back in case of critters. :\ It was no big deal at all.

Oh, and if you want to do a sunset cruise or something, check out Mike at http://www.oceanosunsetcharters.com/ . He runs a 57' catamaran called "The Morris" for fishing, etc. The guy is really cool and hung out with us at Margaritaville (he recommended there for us since we are all 30-somethings) even thought the water was too rough to go out and we had to cancel a group of 11. He's an American who moved down from Phoenix. No, I have no other interest in his business other than he's a really cool guy. Tell him Erich sent you. ;)

Last weekend was my first time in Rocky Point since high school (I graduated in 1990) and I was pretty paranoid about driving down there but it was remarkably easy and stress free. I think I'm hooked on the place now :D

Enjoy the trip!

4. Re: Entering MX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Penasco
Recent Conversations