We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Hogar

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Casa Hogar

Has anyone recently visited this orphanage near Nuevo Vallarta? The weblink is no longer working (or I have the wrong one). Is it possible to bring donations? How many children are living here?

Thanks.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,508 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Hogar

Casa Hogar is in the Hotel Zone. They'd be happy to see you. Here's a link to Puerto Vallarta Charities on JR's forum: vallartainfo.com. You can e-mail JR on that site, or ask a question on the forum vallartainfo dot com. I don't think they ever had a website. For the forum, you can also google Vallarta Scene. Good luck

New Castle...
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa Hogar

The orphanage is located very near the airport, next to the Corona factory. We visited there in April 2007. We stayed for over an hour. The woman in charge gave us a tour of the facility and we then spent some time coloring with about a dozen 4 year olds. She told us that there are 48 children who live there. Mexico does not allow chldren to be adopted from the orphanages, so they live there until they are 18, at which time they go off on their own.

The children are clean and appear happy. Any donation is greatly appreciated. The children wear clothing that is donated and have some used toys. I read on another website that some people bring suitcases filled with their children's outgrown clothing to leave at the orphanages. While we were there, someone called to arrange to have pizza delivered to the orphanage for lunch that afternoon.

They only spoke English, so the woman asked my son to translate for her.

Their website says that they need medicine, cleaning supplies, etc. The office appeared to be well stocked in over the counter medicines. As this was our first time there, I wasn't sure what to bring, so I gave a monetary donation at the end of our visit.

We are going to go back to Nuevo Vallarta next March. While we plan to further our exploration of the area and see some new things, we will definitely go back to visit the children at Casa Hogar.

Here is their website:

http://casahogarmaximocornejo.com/

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casa Hogar

Thank you so very much for your reply and information.

You say "they only spoke English, so asked my son to translate..."

Do you mean they only spoke Spanish? Otherwise I don't understand because you are obviously fluent in English!

I also see this is a Catholic orphanage. Did you see evidence of this at all? One more thing - If you could bring 48 "somethings" to the kids, what would it be: clothes, toys, toothbrushes, rosaries?

Thank you.

New Castle...
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Casa Hogar

When I said "they only spoke English", I meant the donor on the telephone. The woman at the orphanage spoke Spanish.

It appears to be a catholic orphanage, per the website. You really couldn't make that connection by the appearance of things at the orphanage.

It would be difficult to bring something that would be suitable for all the children. There were infants in cribs, pre-schoolers, and boys and girls who attended school. At the end of our visit, we met two girls (ages 13 and 14) who lived there.

Depending upon the time of year you go, the school age children might not be there, as they attend school outside of the orphanage. I really don't have a suggestion of something suitable for all; and I don't have a count of how many of each age group, broken down by males and females.

The preschoolers who we spent time with seemed to desire individual attention. Your visit is something that I know they would appreciate.

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casa Hogar

Thank you. I realize that was a complicated question about what to bring. You have given me great information and I really appreciate it. We are going next week (June 23-July 1). I'll post when we come back about our experience there....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casa Hogar

Please do post upon your return, mebber.

We are going in August with our sons (ages 15 and 13) and i think that might be a great way to open their eyes to the good fortune they have at home. Planning to bring something in advance would also be a good experience for our boys.

Looking forward to your posting!!

7. Re: Casa Hogar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 21:18