We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

Colorado
6 posts
Save Topic
Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

We just got back from the Grand Velas yesterday. We spent a week there with two kids (9 and 7). Had a great time--would be happy to answer any questions.

Lake Lotawana, MO
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

What room type did you stay in and what did you think about it? What were you most and least impressed by at the resort?

Did you leave the resort much or did you find yourself wanting to stay at the resort?

Any good to know in advance things about the resort or things we might want to requst upon check-in...like room location. I've read you should make resteraunt reservations right away to be sure to get a table.

My wife and I will be staying there in mid August for a 10yr anniversary.

Colorado
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

We were in a Parlor Suite which was great for traveling with kids. We had them in the sitting area to sleep and we had our own room. The rooms are very large and are not overly decorated.

We really liked the level of service at the resort. I felt that the people working there really wanted to help you and that it was easy to get good service. What I liked least was the maintenence work that always seemed to be going on (but, to be fair, it has to happen).

We spent most of our time at the resort. We went to PV one afternoon but it was very hot. Too hot to spend more than a couple of hours. Do consider the kayak and bike tours offered by the hotel--they are free and lots of fun.

Regarding restaurant reservations--when we arrived, the hotel was 35% occupied. When we left, there was a large meeting getting the occupany to 100%. We did not have any trouble getting reservations at any time during our stay (or a lounge chair in the shade).

Our room was on the 7th floor in the center. I was quiet most of the time except for the weekly evening show (when none of the rooms would have been quiet).

One last point--my husband speaks spanish although he is (as someone there said, "very white"). Most of the employees really liked to speak with us because of this. If you do know any spanish, do try to use it. Even a little is good.

Have a great time!

Lake Lotawana, MO
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

Thanks for the information. I believe we are staying in a Master Suite. Does it appear the views would be good from all the rooms or should I request a room in a certain area of the hotel?

I don't know much Spanish yet but I just got the "Speak in a Week" Spanish 4 week set so hopefully over the next month I will learn enough to converse a little.

Colorado
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

All the rooms face the ocean so I would think any room would have a nice view, however the rooms in the center of the hotel would probably have the best view. Our room was 737 which was in the center so you may want to ask for a room with in the late 20s to late 30s.

England
Level Contributor
318 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

Grand Velas emailed us with info about changes to their kids club recently. Just wondered if your kids had used the club and if they enjoyed it?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,812 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

The room locations all feature views of the beach and ocean. As mentioned the larger suites in the center of the curved building face directly out over the pools and the bay.

Our master suite last Dec was on the southward end of the bldg which is actually the newest wing and our view was to the north looking all the way up the beach and beyond. Although we could also see a few other resort buildings along the beachfront, I believe we had a superior view becasue we saw much more than just a lot of water.

I requested a similar room for our return trip in Nov/Dec.

Kansas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

We are heading there at the end of the month can't wait. Anyways did you drink the water from the tap at the GV or did you always have to drink bottled water? How was the restaurants and which one did you like most??

Lake Lotawana, MO
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

RedRox...So you would recommend the South wing? Are the Master Suites in the newer wing any different than the ones in the original building other than the view?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,812 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

You will find bottled water available everywhere around the resort. The maids will leave bottles in yourromm and your bathroom. We brushed our teeth with the tap water, but we chose to drink the bottled water. It's included inyour AI fee and so there's plenty of it. You'll never run out.

As for the South wing, it is the newer wing and we found that the bathrooms were the biggest difference. They're larger and feature a big double vanity and a bigger shower and a dressing table. There's a full size spa tub as well, although I think that is a common feature in all of the suites.

Lake Lotawana, MO
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

RedRox...Thanks. Will definately request the South wing. I would also guess that the higher the floor the better the view. What night(s) do they have shows at the resort and are they worth attending or would our time be better spent doing something else?