We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

Colorado
6 posts
Save Topic
Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

We just got back from the Grand Velas yesterday. We spent a week there with two kids (9 and 7). Had a great time--would be happy to answer any questions.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,616 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

Just re: room location. We went last August and were first given a room on the second floor of the main building (Master Suite). The balcony didn't even have a single couch. Fortunately, the door didn't work so they moved us to the 3rd floor. Very nice view and single couch on the balcony. Personally, I wouldn't want a first or second floor room in the main building as some of them are blocked by the restaurant and other buildings, and some first floor rooms are next to exits so people are always walking past. Not so ni

westfield, nj
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

we are going to PV in Aug. we are a family of 5 and are looking for A good family hotel. never been to PV and don't know the geography. is NV close to PV? Is there more thing of interest in PV? Do you recommend booking via trip advisor? Best deal where? thanks in advance for the input.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,616 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

A lot depends on the age of your kids and what you hope to get out of a vacation. If you just want to relax at a resort, I'd suggest checking out the Royal Decameron, Vallarta Palace, for example.

Nuevo Vallarta is really just homes and resorts (nothing wrong with that). It's not far from Puerto Vallarta but it's not really close enough to go back and forth more than a couple of times. Also, with a family of five, you might not be able to fit into two cabs which would make a cab ride prohibitive. And buses don't run late.

Puerto Vallarta is interesting. In Puerto Vallarta, the best family resorts are considered the Crown Paradise Club and the Melia.

Why not ask on the Puerto Vallarta forum what there would be to do for families with kids your age. You'll get lots of responses Then you can decide.

Best of luck.

Lake Lotawana, MO
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

I have read that some of the resorts give you drinks in small glasses and that you might want to bring your own large insulated mug. Is this the case at the Grand Velas?

England
Level Contributor
318 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

No. At the Grand Velas helpful waiters bring you fresh drinks whenever you want them. Or if you feel energetic you can go to the swim up bar.

It is a different class of hotel entirely and your every need will be catered to.

As you will see, I am a bit of a fan of GV and really looking forward to our second trip there in August.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,825 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

Ditto Holiday!

If you want a 12 ounce glass of Jack Daniels, filled to the top, no ice, just ask for it. Whatever you want, they will provide it.

It really is a different kind of resort. They don't hold back on anything. Of course, you're paying a premium price to be there, but IMHO it's worth every penny!

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

Hi, we're considering a trip in early August, and I'm looking into airfare. Which airport would we fly into?

Thanks!

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

I'm considering a trip to Nuevo Vallarta, and I'm looking into airfare. Which airport would we fly into?

Thanks!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

The great thing about staying in Nuevo Vallarta and at the Grand Velas is the ride from the airport is about 15 minutes. GV provides transportation if you email them ahead of time...

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Just returned from Grand Velas...anything you want to know?

The airport you'd fly into is Puerto Vallarta...PVR...